Official GIGABYTE Forum

Motherboard detecting wrong cpu clock speed

Motherboard detecting wrong cpu clock speed
« on: March 12, 2010, 05:32:27 pm »
I have GA-8IPE1000 motherboard with latest F5 bios release, with an Intel Celeron D 2.93GHz cpu (533MHz FSB). It has been in use for about 4 years.

During the boot-up sequence it use to detect the cpu as 2.93Ghz (133x22). Which was correct.
Then recently on some days it randomly detects the cpu as 4.11Ghz (187x22) during the boot-up sequence.
Now it is permanently detected as 4.11GHz. I can't boot into OS (winxp) when it is at 4.11GHz. It will reboot during the OS start-up.

The motherboard auto detects the cpu. There is no option to specify cpu clock speed in the bios. I can't find any jumper on the motherboard to disable auto detection. I can manually set the CPU Host Frequency to 133MHz in the bios (as specified in the manual for a 533MHz FSB), but it makes no difference. The motherboard still thinks it has a 4.11GHz cpu in it.

Any ideas on how to resolve it?

Pottypete

Re: Motherboard detecting wrong cpu clock speed
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 07:07:00 pm »
Hi,
Have you got CIA in bios screen set at disabled?
Unfortunatly on this mobo there are no clear cmos pins only two solder points,
You can short them out for 10 secs with a pair of tweezers if your carefull after removing power lead and removing cmos battery,
Set the required cpu speed  and memory configs in the bios and all should be good,
Cheers

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 08:00:26 pm »
What is the CIA? I can't find a setting with that name in the bios.

There is a clear cmos pin on the motherboard. I have tried using it. It did reset all the bios settings. But before I get into the bios setup screen the motherboard still detects a 4.11GHz (187x22) cpu during the Bios Post (power-on self test) screen. After adjusting the bios settings, it still shows 4.11GHz after it reboots.

The multiplier is locked in the Celeron D at x22, there is no option to adjust this in the bios.  On the Frequency/Voltage Control screen, the options are CPU Host Clock Control which can be disabled (default) or enabled. If set to enabled, I can set a CPU Host Clock Frequency within a range of 100MHz to 350MHz. The manual recommends this to be set to 133MHz for a cpu with a 533MHz FSB. If disabled, the motherboard controls this setting automatically. There is a setting for AGP/PCI/SRC Frequency (set at 66/33/100) and a Memory Frequency speed (set at 333MHz). There is also a DIMM OverVoltage Control, AGP OverVoltage Control and a CPU OverVoltage Control. The last three are all at default value of Normal.

Pottypete

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 08:47:49 pm »
Hi,
Can you please give the full mobo name ans revision number 1 2 3 4 1x 2x ?
cheers

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 08:57:47 pm »
It is a GA-8IPE1000-G Rev 4.0

Pottypete

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 10:35:18 pm »
Hi,
Have you got all the latest mobo drivers updates
set  CPU Host Clock Frequency to 133
save the settings by pressing F10
If this does not post correctly, remove cmos battery and power lead,
Short out cmos clear pins and have a long cup of tea,
Have you tried fitting a new cmos battery?,
Have you tried rolling back to F4 F3 bios?,
Cheers
Don't think you have CIA setting on this mobo (sorry)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 11:34:34 pm by Pottypete »

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 11:36:50 pm »
I think I have found the cause of the problem. Right next to the cpu, there is a bulging capacitor :'(  It was hidden under the overhang of the heatsink.
I will try and replace the capacitor next week.

Thanks for the help.

Pottypete

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 07:43:30 am »
Hi,
Happy to see you may have found the fault,
You maybe find it best to replace the others as they may be coming to the end of life,
link to badcaps forum here,  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/
Lets know how you get on please,
Cheers

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 11:22:52 pm »
I have the board working again ;D Two of the capacitors next to the cpu (6.3v 3300uf branded KZG) needed replacing, one was visibly bulging, and the cpu needed replacing too as it was weirdly detected as 7GHz after repairing the board. All in £10 for new caps and another Celeron D from fleabay.