Official GIGABYTE Forum

z77x-ud5h changes from ahci to raid on it's own

z77x-ud5h changes from ahci to raid on it's own
« on: September 11, 2014, 10:57:33 pm »
Ok, this is probably going to end up as defective board?  Maybe beta bios flakey?

z77x-ud5h bios rev F15q
Intel Core i5 3570K
Corsair pc3-10700H
Samsung 850 pro 128gb Pro SSD
LG DVD

With the above listed system, in the beginning, just would not work with the bios set to raid mode.  I did not set to raid set that way.  The port I selected was one that the marvel chip used.  Just 1 ssd drive and a CD rom.  When booting to windows install,  it sees the drive, but when it starts to install windows I got a BSOD.  Sorry your PC had a problem etc etc.  Tried this several times, then went into bios and changed to ahci.  Windows installed no issues.  After this I installed the hardware drivers (including marvel controller) but after the reboot, the system bios went BACK to raid on both the gigabyte and marvel controllers, and it trashed the O/S and could not repair it with any of the options as it kept saying drive was locked.   It just did not want to work with the drive when raid mode is on.  I moved the SSD from the port used by Marvel to a port used only by the gigabyte sata controller and reset gigabyte controller to AHCI.    turning OFF marvell.  It installed, no issues and it ran flawlessly for about 2 hours.  After installing windows updates, the system had to reboot and when it came back up again, that's right you guessed it, BOTH controllers were on, and set to RAID again.  Only this time, it just went into a loop, with the Marvel controller NOT destroying the O/S because the SSD was now on the Gigabyte controller, but the loop only showed the marvel chip detecting drives (of which it finds none and resets again).  And with fast boot on, it's damn near impossible to get into the bios as the marvel chip comes up so damn fast... grrr  I think I found a way around it though.  Holding the del key down without letting up seems to get me into bios.  So AGAIN I set the damn controllers back to AHCI, and the marvell chip OFF.  System booted fine, and ran fine for 2 days.  It appears there are 2 things that make that marvel chip turn on.  2 days ago I installed 2 - 2tb drives to put in raid 1 for data.  Siimply installed them, annnnnnnnd!  Yup, both controllers set to RAID AGAIN.  Any time I add, move or change anything with any of the sata ports seems to turn on the RAID on both controllers, even though I have the Marvel controller set to OFF.  Went through the process and got the system back to normal, and it ran just fine for 2 or3 days.  When I get up this morning, I turn on my system.. and guess what happens... no changes made at all, just got up and started it.  Defective board?   Bad bios.. or??  Nothing else changes in BIOS, just the 2 controllers from AHCI (and off) to RAID.  I'm totally stumped on this.