Official GIGABYTE Forum

How do I recover the bios

How do I recover the bios
« on: September 23, 2014, 05:11:22 am »
I have a GA Z87 DS3h mother board. I was having a issue of the system going into a looping start(Windows 8.1). Fixed it several times. Then I had a brief error come up about a failing or corrupted Bios. Did not get a chance to see the whole error. I then booted into the Bios and flashed to the current updated Bios F3. Seem to fix everything but now there is no sound no mater what I do. Removed drivers, installed latest drivers, Stopped Windows from installing there drivers and installed the manufactures driver, Used a different OS on a different SSD... no sound either, Ran a live Linux disk.... no sound as well. Out of ideas... ha I can post on the forums!!!

So i am going to say its the Bios.It has the dual bios on board. How can I get to/recover the backup bios? Jumpers? I tryed the turn power trick of while holding the front power button no luck.

Need any more info ask please.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 05:29:33 am by Cory7288 »

ex58

Re: How do I recover the bios
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 11:32:49 am »
1. Shut your PC down
2. Hold the power AND the reset button for about 10 sec, than release.
3. Backup BIOS should kick in anytime soon now.

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 04:07:11 pm »
I turned the computer off held the power button and the reset button together to restart. The computer starts up but before the 10 sec is up the computer just shuts down. I am doing it wrong?

autotech

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 03:03:46 am »
Another option.
BIOS Recover Method Via Manually Invoking BACKUP BIOS Auto-Recovery
 Using Power Supply - On/Off Switch

It is possible to make the BIOS Auto-Recovery kick in (Dual BIOS) and re-flash the MAIN BIOS with the contents
 of the BACKUP BIOS.

This is a simple and easy method for anyone to try before having to resort to other more difficult methods,
or a RMA.

1. Shut off the power supply using the switch on the back of the PSU, wait 10-15 seconds.
 2. Press and hold the case Power On swtich, then while still holding turn on the power supply from the switch on
the rear.
 3. Still holding the case power on switch, the board will start, once it does release the case power on switch
and shut off the power supply via the switch on the rear of the unit. (Do the latter two parts as quickly as you
can once the board starts)
 4. The board will shut down.
 5. Turn the power supply back on using the switch on the rear of the unit.
 6. Turn on the motherboard by pressing the case power on button.

Once the board starts this time you should see the Gigabyte splash screen, or POST page, then the Auto-Recovery
from Dual BIOS will kick in. You will see a checksum error, and then recovery from BACKUP BIOS will begin. Once it
is done reboot your machine and enter the BIOS and load optimized defaults then save/apply/reboot back to BIOS.
GA-Z170X-UD5,Core i5-6600K,16 GIG,3200 ram ,2 X Corsair 240GB SATA III SSD, 500 gig HD,7 ult 64\, Rx-480 8gig\

Z97X-SOC GIGABYTE, I5 4670k, 16 gig 1600 ram, 240 gig sata3 SSD,1x 500HD/ R9 280x, corsair 650 RM PSU

GA-Z97X-Gaming G1,850 corsair,,DDR4 3200,240SSd,6950 video,850EVA