Official GIGABYTE Forum

Problem with G.skill F3-12800CL7D-4GBECO and GA-890GPA-UD3H motherboard

Zathan

I bought this ram because it was on your qualified memory vendor list and it isn't fully compatible with the motherboard! My system  refusse to boot at the rated specs of 7-8-7 even with adding voltage. It would however boot at C8.

It appears at this point that this motherboards need a bios update to support the ram. For now an easy work around is to drop the memory divider one notch and increase the HT and the memory will work fine.

GIGABYTE are you planning to release a proper bios soon to support it? I'm pretty frustrated.

lepiaf37

Hi,
What Bios Do you have ?

Zathan

Latest F4 bios

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Hi there,
when you were making the changes to your memory did you unlock the memory controller of the CPU and manually set this parameter?

You do this in MIT by changing "Set Memory Clock".

You don't say which CPU you are using but I am guessing that it is a Phenom II and the memory controller is actually on-board the CPU and needs to be manually altered. It's a CPU thing not a Mobo thing! 

You might want to check out this item that I posted in another thread: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,1493.msg6828.html#msg6828 although it isn't your mobo it is the same issue.

Hope this helps

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Zathan

I'm using a PHII 965BE C3 revision. I'm currently running the ram @ 1333mhz 6-7-6-18 1t  but I still have to drop the memory divider otherwise I can't boot. You can boot fine at 1333mhz 9-9-9.
You might wanna read this post by the venerable Chew*:
http://www.techreaction.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1365

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Hi there, interesting read by Chew* but he didn't find it easy!

Now at first I would like to note that I was a tad dissapointed as my system would refuse to boot at rated specs of 7-8-7 even with adding voltage. It would however boot at C8, persistance pays off however and in the end I was victorious.

He was also using a Mobo with the 790 chipset not the 890 that you have which could well make a difference to the settings that you will need to get the RAM running at the specified rating.
Also, having done some further research into the subject, I have to admit to the fact that this problem is likely to be resolved with better BIOS, but until AMD and the Mobo manufacturers get their act together and release updates, I guess it is something that we have to work around in the short term.

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.