Official GIGABYTE Forum

More on ethernet ports

LJHCPA

More on ethernet ports
« on: October 04, 2014, 02:15:18 am »
I've come to the conclusion my GA-X99-Gaming G1 WIFI has a major flaw regarding the ethernet ports.  First, only the Intel port shows up in the BIOS. Second, the BIOS only lists speed choices of "Auto Negotiation", 10 Mbps, 100 Mbps.  No Gigabit speed is shown. Third, the Atheros "Killer" port doesn't show up anywhere in the BIOS--at least under the name Killer or Atheros--I checked every option.  After flashing BIOS to F8c I purchased an inexpensive PCIe gigabit card and installed it in PCIe slot #6 and disabled the on board LAN (which I assumed was the Intel port, but more on that later).

When Windows 8.1 boots I go to Network Connections and see the "Killer" port has disappeared, not the Intel port I thought I disabled in the BIOS. My cheap PCIe card shows as connected at only 100 Mbps, despite my forcing it to 1.0 GB in Windows properties.  Something in this board is bottle-necking the ethernet to 100 Mbps.  The Intel port's Windows configuration shows a 1 GB full duplex option, but when that option is selected the port still only runs at 100 Mbps.

I can get 270 Mbps from the wireless connection but even that doesn't help much with file copy speed.

Has anyone else had this behavior with their X-99 boards?  Am I missing some option in the BIOS that will unleash the full speed of gigabit ethernet?

Anyone?  Bueller?

LJHCPA

Re: More on ethernet ports
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 12:57:00 am »
Solved this myself.  The problem was an apparently bad cable.  I had my Cat 5e cable from the wall running through my UPS for surge protection, it was the cable coming out of the UPS that was bad.  Strangely, the same cable didn't cause a problem on my ASRock Z68 board.  It got full gigabit speed with the same cable.  It is possible there was a surge in the UPS that fried the cable (but that's what a UPS is supposed to protect against).  At least now the Killer port is getting gigabit speed.