Official GIGABYTE Forum

Adding memory to a Brix

CEG

Adding memory to a Brix
« on: October 16, 2014, 03:57:05 pm »
My first post and I apologize if I'm in the wrong thread or asking an age old question.  I just setup a Brix 2807 and I bought this because I really wanted a silent PC and I didn't want to spend a lot of money.  I considered a Chromebox, but it seems to me this is just as silent and a lot more capable.

After stumbling into solving the no bootmgr error I got Windows 7 installed and was really kind of shocked that I figured it out.  Anyway, the Windows Experience scores are actually really good, with my SSD and 4 gigs of ram.  The gaming graphics score was much higher than I expected.  Of course, the processor is the weak link, but that was expected.

What I'm wondering is if anybody has experienced a significant performance boost to this Brix by running the max of 8 gigs of memory.  I kind of hate to invest another 40.00 in the box, but it might be worth it.  My experience over the first few hours is that browsing seems to about what I'm used to.  The only sluggishness I've noticed is that it takes longer to install programs.  Again, I knew I was giving up some performance with the processor, but so far I am rather pleasantly surprised.  The machine this is replacing is very fast.

Thanks for any comments.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 03:58:12 pm by CEG »

CEG

Re: Adding memory to a Brix
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 01:58:26 pm »
I have since discussed this with tech support and I came away feeling the 4gigs of ram I have are probably optimal for my use.  Besides, I was thinking there were two dimms and to upgrade would involve a return for refund, not just adding another stick. ;D