Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte needs to fix firmware for HDD behaviour - may be the main problem

(removed by Admin)

- Mouse erradic goes away if you unplug all your mechanical disks (in my case all my black caviars - but I still have the SSD ... ok)
- No blank screen or "boot" problem

- Still problem may be with resume ... but guess it comes down to those HDDs

Will Gigabyte please test and fix that?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 03:41:58 pm by runn3R »

ex58

Whatever you complain, send inquiry to GB technical support:

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/technical-support.aspx?ck=2

Oh, its not a complaint at all.

It's simply a finding - and well documented now even by independent public reviewers - that the firmware's behavior sucks widely across a different range of symptoms (erradic mouse, resume problem, sudden blank screens, start/boot problems (i.e. blank screens)).

These are not complaints but findings that should be made public so other consumers having bought these cards can see that for a fact these cards have serious problems (now, probably because of the firmwares problem with HDD's - which are still in wide use i.e. for data)

Would be fine if Gigabyte were to update their knowledge base or faqs with such findings ... but they are not. Prerequisite: Do not use HDD's with this motherboard untill the mobo's firmware is fixed.

Still looking for that AsRock card ... but at least hoping Gigabyte will fix their firmwares problem with legacy HDD's connected to the SATA ports. This is probably why many users are experiencing it.

I just need a well-serviced mobo in my new and rather expensive build. So I have to switch the mobo now - when I have the hours to go pick up a new mobo - and undo everyting and connect the whole stuff again - and test again.

Pretty bad Gigabyte never tested this mobo with HDD's. It's earning the X99 series an aplha test status on the firmware.

BTW And complaints should be made public ... and not hidden in the technical support. If you ever complain about something its easy to reject it - if you send your complaint to the complainee  :)). But again ... these posts are intended as findings for other X99 users ... since this data is not available in the knowledge base, faqs or corrected firmware yet. And people may be spending hours to fix this problem with many consumers now having publicly stated RMA'ed their cards. Me too.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 02:57:27 am by computermensch »

So let's see what happens in a few days. May be Gigabyte will use HDD's this time during a test with these cards i.e. in UEFI mode.

The symptoms (erradic mouse, resume problem, sudden blank screens, boot/start problem with blank screen) have been widely documented - and can now after many, many tests be connected to the UEFI firmwares problem with HDD interactions - may be when initiating interactions?

Hey, may be its a problem Gigabyte can not fix? May be it is tested ... may be thats why the GA-X99-UD4 and the UDx series was some of the first cards out there? With Gigabyte keeping silent? I've seen that with Seagate (design flaw on HDD case cooling - with End-Of-Life in the design flaw - disk running above 40 degress Celcius. A guarenteed quick kill. Version 2 of the new disk did not have the flaw - and could get rid of the hot air. But they shipped version 1 anyway ... and made it an "offer". I unpacked the disked from the casing - so they survived. And went with WD from there instead ...)

So get ready to RMA ... may be its a design error?

If nothing happens within the next couple of days I will assume it may be a design flaw and I am crapping the card and RMA'ing it with the fact that the X99 series does not support HDD's with UEFI as advertised and have a built in error - and requiring a money return from the reseller according to the consumer law here. Then the reseller wil have to handle the return flow themselves.

The likely scenario however - because its THE central component in a computer I need I can not wait for a new card - and will have to sell that on EBay with a loss.

So in any case it seems bye bye from me to the GA-X99-UDx series (if Gigabyte does not get HDD into their testing - what did they forget else ... I am getting very reluctant to base my "to live for the next couple of years" HASWELL-E build based on this card ... every component is rather expensive in there ... even the mem ... but since those symptoms from my testing and others like the reviewer ... goes away with disconnecting the HDD's it seems the problem can be isolated to HDD's. It's just not an option though - that I can not use storage on this computer ... kind of idiomatic ... naturally, for a computer such a mobo without support for HDD's in a UEFI build would have to be wasted)

So I am ready to accept the loss. It's a builders risk. I am building myself to get a good machine - free from important problems. And these findings are as I already stated published here to help others do their similar build free from important problems.

Still I hope Gigabye will fix this. Then I will no have problem recommending them as well as AsRock (which currently is my favorite brand). Gigabyte may come back on my list (not this mobo ... which I actually like on the specs/price combination - but another bad experience previously) if Gigabyte get this firmware together (fix the HDD problem in UEFI mode). As least that will show Gigabyte are ready to support the business they are in ... supplying mobos and fixing the important problems on those shipped mobos. That's what a good vendor will do.

It may seem impatient - however it's been over a month's worth of testing. Even demoing the machine with a black screen coming up ... wow. It's just appalling getting such reactions from users and reviewers - that Gigabyte is not able to come up with the fix. Anyway, in some cases "s***" just happens ... an unfortunately they forgot to execute tests with HDD's in UEFI mode? Does that seem likely? ... with so many tests being conducted for the test plan on such a card?

Seems (really) far out that could be the case ... that this case with the GA-X99-UDx series would be a lack of HDD testing ... So it is a very serious concern that these mobos may have an important design flaw that can not be fixed. Meaning ENTHUSIAST builders (naturally very concerned builders) should crap the card if a design flaw is the case.

... but of course far out incidents can happen in some cases  :)

Let's see now.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 02:54:27 am by computermensch »

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
I have a GA-X99-UD4 with 2-SSD, 3-HHD. I'm not having one problem and I still have the Bios that came with the board F5.

Plus by any change are you running windows 8.1. If so you don't have say any more.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

Ok, thanks for reading and confirming youe have HDD's that work. I also considered lack of testing that on Gigabytes part very unlikely.
This will make me try out the RAID1+0 setup instead.

It seems to be a problem with lack of implementation of GPT when the underlying storage is Storage Spaces (but remember UEFI are for Windows clients). So need to be fixed now - made public that UEFI active with GPT on Storage Spaces will make the firmware block on boot/resume from sleep.

I have completed more of the test now with decoupling the HDD's from the GA-X99-UD4. Worked instantly.

The disks does not have an operating system on them but are GPT partitions. Are yours GPT partitions on every disk?

The GUID for the partitions are basic disk (GPT) according to EFI spec, however the underlying storage is Windows Storage Spaces (the new windows storage concept also coming from the server side). GPT disk are self contained - however it's not the Windows Boot Manager. It's more likely the firmware in the board does not know how to inspect a GPT partition across 4 disks - thus the software in the mobo is blocking. I.e. boot and resume.

Again UEFI is for PC - i.e. except for Linux that would normally mean Windows. Dynamic disks with MBR partitions in Windows are getting phased out - and replaced by Storage Spaces and GPT. However, this firmware does not know how to properly start a GPT partition implying Storage Spaces with data.

I will set the disk up as RAID1+0 instead. But I think the answer is still lack of support in the GA-X99-UDx's for GPT partitions in Windows.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 02:58:42 pm by computermensch »

dmdilks

I have GPT drives running om my computer.

X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

Me too now ... I hope  :), But not on Storage Spaces ... (even though it should have worked)

... about to create them GPT's on a RAID10 (RAID1+0) instead of Storage Spaces because the mobo can not read the GPT there ... hm, I am not sure though who is responsible for the boot loader because the Windows Boot Manager may be writing stuff to the NVRAM of UEFI. Lot's to ... well, complex.

Using UEFI+GPT for data + Storage Spaces/SWRAID? May answer boot/resume problems
http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,15245.0.html

To everybody else reading this read ... can see there has been a number.

It is not a HDD problem - but a storage layer problem with the mobo, UEFI, GPT. If you're using a basic disk (GPT) on software RAID or Storage Space in Windows 8 ... the first UEFI operating system of Windows client ...

... go check this thread I've posted since: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,15245.0.html ...

« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 11:24:43 pm by computermensch »

ex58

Seems that Admin must open one sticky thread under your name..... ::)

dmdilks

Re: Gigabyte needs to fix firmware for HDD behaviour - may be the main problem
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 12:15:13 am »
But the thing is I'm not running windows 8 or 8.1. I'm running windows 7 - 64 bit. I'm not using a Windows Boot Manager either.

runn3R

• Admin
    • GIGABYTE UK
Re: Gigabyte needs to fix firmware for HDD behaviour - may be the main problem
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 03:43:14 pm »
Seems that Admin must open one sticky thread under your name..... ::)

Absolutely correct!

@computermensch
I will send you PM in a few minutes
ZX-S & C64 are still my favourites ;-)