Official GIGABYTE Forum

GTX 970 Gaming running warm

GTX 970 Gaming running warm
« on: October 27, 2014, 03:12:25 am »
So I've been talking with quite a few owners of the same card and noticed that my card runs quite a bit warmer than theirs, even though my case and cooling is very similar to their and it's actually exact the same with one user.  My room temperature is cool and the card iddles at around 37C and runs at 75-78C in 3DMark Fire Starter. When doing some longer gaming sessions the card gets close to 80C and gets really noisy. In comparison a person with the exact same case, with the exact same fan positions has his card running at 24C in iddle and peaking 55C in Fire Starter so we are talking some extreme temperature differences here.

I have a Fractral R4 case with 5 x 140mm fans, which includes 3 intakes and two outtakes and one of the intakes is on the floor of the case directly under the GPU.

The card also has some coil whine and I'm tempted to RMA it, but it would be a third RMA within a few weeks (one of them was my old card though and another one was MSI GTX 970, which I changed to Gigabyte) and it's getting kinda annoying. So I'm wonder if it would void the warranty if I tried to change the thermal paste first to see if it has any effect?

Re: GTX 970 Gaming running warm
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 08:06:12 am »
Just out of curiosity, have you tried running with the side panel removed? 

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 02:45:46 pm »
Yes I have. It still run at 73-75 in Fire Striker and in a gaming environment it would get obviously get higher.

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 10:35:12 am »
Hello.
I'm not the best guy who can answer this but - What about the power supply ? Is it good ? try to change cables? (if you can)
I had an issue like that 2-3 years ago with another card,and after I change my power supply,my temp dropped at normal.
About the coil whine, I have it only when I alt+tab Alien:Isolation. Awkward but meh, it's ok as long it runs cool.
So my card temps on "The Crew" went to 67* Celsius , but I have to re manage my fans.Idle - 26-30.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 11:22:31 am by shweppsy »