Official GIGABYTE Forum

750 GTX Powers system down

750 GTX Powers system down
« on: October 28, 2014, 09:11:34 pm »
Hello Everyone,
 So I built my new pc and I am having a heck of a time with 1 component. I'll give you a rundown on what I went from and went to and then explain the issue.
 What I had: Intel e6850 - dual core 3 ghz
 2 x 2gb 6400 corsair ram
 Zotac 9800gt
 Rocketfish 700w PSU
 1 Blu-Ray internal player
 3 x sata HDD's
 1 x external HDD
 Gigabyte EP45 UD3P Motherboard
 What I have: AMD 6300 6 core 3.5ghz
 Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
 2 x 4gb 1866 Ballistix Tracer ram
 Gigabyte 750 GTX
 Same PSU
 Same Peripherals
 My Problem: So I decided to upgrade my computer. I wanted to play Everquest Landmark and was only getting a handful of FPS. I'm on a budget so it was going to be a one at a time buying thing. I first bought the graphics card. That way while I made the money I could use it in the old system. And it worked just fine. I was then able to get the new motherboard. It sat on the shelf until I was able to buy the CPU and RAM. So I put the new components together, all was set, and I powered on. I went into BIOS to see what was new but didn't change anything. The computer came on started loading Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit and powered down. POO! Tried it a few times and nothing. I went in in Safe Mode and was able to stay in forever. Oh yeah it was a clean install of Windows as AMD said something about needing to have certain drivers to be applied at OS installation. So in Safe Mode I downloaded drivers and system updates to bring the OS up to par. It still kept powering down the system as if someone had pulled the plug from the wall.
 I started to wonder if the CPU was overheating. I also was wondering if the PSU was not good enough or had enough power. But I thought 700w is a lot of power. I put the old 9800 GT back in and everything worked just fine. I truly enjoyed the speed boost I got. I was able to start the computer and it would stay on until I turned it off. I was able to go to the Rocketfish website and check up on the PSU. I found out it is 700w peak and 550 continuous. 150 watts less then I had expected. Did some research on the internet about what I should have as far as a PSU. Mine still seemed to be in the green zone as far as amount of wattage output. The gigabyte site said I need a minimum of 400w PSU. That should leave some headroom for my drives, RAM and CPU which takes 95 watts.
 So needless to say the old 9800 GT is still in there bottlenecking everything. I don't understand why the 750 GTX isn't working. Is my PSU not up to the job? I don't think the card is faulty or it would have done the same thing on the old set-up. Does anyone have any suggestions at all. I would appreciate them greatly. Constructive criticism only please.

Thanks,
 rickywsf