Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-X99-UD4 can't go to bios setup

Hans

Re: GA-X99-UD4 can't go to bios setup
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2015, 11:26:47 pm »
I am brand new to GIGABYTE MBs after years of really good luck with ASUS.

I build systems for clients (low volume) and for myself - both mostly as a hobby.  This is my first Gigabyte build.

HAVING THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM - GOING INTO BIOS at boot HANGS THE SYSTEM AT A BLANK SCREEN! I have tried bios versions F12, F11 and F10 - all producing the same result.

My system:  Win 7 x64 SP1; X99-UD4 MB; i7 5820K; PNY GTX 780; 850watt Thermaltake; some model of Titan CPU cooler  ::) (well, it works well); 8GB ballistic sport DD4 2400 (will add more ram when everything works)

EVERYTHING works great except for getting into BIOS, which is a big deal to me.  The overclocking available between the MB, CPU and cooler is incredible.  About to try booting with all drives connected to see if this looks exactly like what you all saw.

==================

And removing all the SATA hard drives (all NTFS) DOES indeed allow me to get into Bios.  Setting the type to RAID (instead of AHCI) does not help me as I do not have a RAID arrangement.

WOW....Cannot believe that after more than 1/2 year Gigabyte has not fixed this!  Surely, if the BIOS is accessible without drives, there is someway to get into when they are connected...UNLESS...there is hard-coded instruction that looks for drives before they reprogram-able instructions begin to execute...hard to imagine, but maybe THAT's why there was a rev 1.1 board issued.

And IF that is the case, they sure as heck better not leave the early buyers hanging.  That is something you expect from a cut-rate supplier.  (Almost three months since any BIOS update.  Not hopeful. )  If in the end they don't fix this and they don't swap out the boards (assuming no bios fix) I will never use them again and make darn sure as many people as possible know about what they did....we'll wait and see.....
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 03:23:49 am by Hans »

Kevin

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2015, 12:53:11 am »
Please can some one help me!! It boots with no problem in the windows 8 but when I try enter bios setup in a cold boot it freezes in a blank screen. So I disconnected all sata hard disk and it goes to bios. What is happening with Gigabyte boards?
Have a look at my recent post.

http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=16246.0

Kevin

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2015, 01:01:53 am »
Please can some one help me!! It boots with no problem in the windows 8 but when I try enter bios setup in a cold boot it freezes in a blank screen. So I disconnected all sata hard disk and it goes to bios. What is happening with Gigabyte boards?
Have a look at my recent post

http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=16246.0

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2015, 02:49:38 pm »
I have the same problem on my UD4 motherboard.  Solution I came across was to keep an empty USB memory stick in the  BIOS update USB slot.  For some reason this makes the machine boot up and go into BIOS without issues.  If I remove it, it will boot but I cannot get into BIOS.

So for me, just keeping a small cheapy USB stick attached is not ideal, but if it works it'll do!

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2015, 11:57:13 am »
@insomnia,
great idea, but sadly it doesn't work for me.
Try it with a empty 64 GB stick (ntfs formatted).

Did i miss somethin' ?

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2015, 07:54:27 pm »
Just wanted to chip in to this discussion since I have just experienced the same issue with a brand new GA-X99-UD3P motherboard I bought, which I am assuming is similar to the one OP has. After having spend the majority of half a day I finally got everything to work. First off, it was my Sandisk 960GB SSD, which apparently made the bios choke up. I was able to boot from it, just not enter the bios. Tried every sata slot by itself, no luck at all. After I upgraded the bios to beta F2b from F1 it was shipped with, I was able to enter the bios setup, however none of my disks were recognizable as bootable, i.e. I seemed to be unable to set the boot order. In classic mode they show up on the last page after save, where you can choose which one to boot directly to. That seem to also set the primary boot disk. Now it boots up nicely and I can enter the bios. Hopefully this might help others with the same issue. Of course my problem was compounded by the fact that my boot disk was a GPT not MBR and I had cloned my original 256GB ssd to a 960GB ssd in a different system prior to upgrading the motherboard. Not even the windows recovery disk would recognize my drive... Any way good luck.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 08:00:25 pm by aggaton »

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2016, 08:00:49 pm »
I haven't  been able to try it yet but someone told me that a workaround is using F12, like your going to select a boot device and then selecting to enter setup as opposed to hitting the Del key to enter bios.

doesnt work

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2016, 04:10:19 am »
I didn't have the problem till I updated the bios a couple of times. But with mine it is only one drive that is causing the problem. What I did was I disconnected one drive at a time till I found the one that is causing the problem.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

Mork

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2017, 11:11:07 pm »
I haven't  been able to try it yet but someone told me that a workaround is using F12, like your going to select a boot device and then selecting to enter setup as opposed to hitting the Del key to enter bios.
Hi all, i got the same issues with the same Mobo with F20 firmware.
Also, the workaround with F12 doesn't work for me, the system freezes anyway...Does anybody knows if this has been addressed somehow? Does F22 firmware fixed it? Thanks for any help