Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-F2A88XN-WIFI (3.0) loses display signal

GA-F2A88XN-WIFI (3.0) loses display signal
« on: November 22, 2014, 10:02:16 pm »
I've used this motherboard in my mITX build, but I'm experiencing several issues which I can't explain. I'm suspecting a defect MOBO, but before starting a RMA procedure I would like to ask if things sound familiair and whether any/Gigabyte agrees the problem could be the MOBO indeed.

I have a 150W PicoPSU connected, powered by a 80W power brick (sold as a kit). The power brick eventually switches off, often at similar points (e.g. when detecting WiFi networks in the Windows install process, on booting into Windows after the POST, or when the Windows start screen should pop up). Re-connecting the power cord gets the brick up again. As the brick fails, could it be that the MOBO pulls too much power at times?

Besides this issue, more often the display signal is dropped at random times. System power is still on, I can hear the optical drive still spinning, but the display signal is lost. Happens on both HDMI ports as well as DVI. There's no response to the power button at this point, only way to recover is pull out the power cord and plug it back in to restart the system.

I read about similar issues here http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2365395 and here http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=15107.0. Therefore I suspect it might be a known issue? As the system power stays on, I don't think this is related to the PSU but perhaps to the MOBO itself. The 3 similar cases in the mentioned first link strengthen my suspicions. Hope to hear from you soon, thanks up front!

Product Name:         GA-F2A88XN-WIFI (3.0)
BIOS Ver:                   F4
Brand:                        GIGABYTE
Model:                        AMD A8-6500
Operation System:     Win 8.1 64-bit
Brand:                        Corsair Vengeance LP
Size:                            2x2GB
Power Supply:           150W PicoPSU + 84W adapter (sold as a kit)
Memory Part No.:     CML4GX3M2A1600C9B

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: GA-F2A88XN-WIFI (3.0) loses display signal
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 07:53:20 am »
I think you may be under powered. This extract is taken from your user's manual:

To meet expansion requirements, it is recommended that a power supply that can withstand high
power consumption be used (300W or greater). If a power supply is used that does not provide the
required power, the result can lead to an unstable or unbootable system.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.