Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-X79-UD5 Updated Bios (fail) Keyboard(s) now unable to access F9/DEL etc

Canuck

- Hi guys my first post. I need some advise....actually I am desperate. 

- Last night my Bios was updated via the Win7 option (sorry I am a but new to the setup). A (soon to be former friend) took it upon himeself to do so as he was convinced it would fix a "reserved Ram" problem. Well  12 hours of reading, trying, crying, yelling later  I have a PC which is unable to boot. I am unable to access the Bios setup as no keyboard (USB/PS2) seems to be able to communicate.  Here is what I have tried:

- Reboot 2nd Bios  (nope)
- Remove battery for 5 mins (Nope)
- Boot thru alternate USB's (nope)
- Go through a described power up/Down sequence (Nope)
- remove/ Reduce Ram (Nope)
- pressed the Clr_Cmos (Nope)
- used 3 different Keyboards   ****  strangely the CTRL/ALT/DELETE is the only command that gets a response (reboot)

I am moderately computer litterate at a "google" and you shall find level. I need the PC for work and have a rather costly deadline for delivery in about 24 hours. There has got to be a logic fix for this?.  I appreciate ANY assistance and can promise you it will be rewarded with good karma and virtual good vibes.

Please helpw:(

My setup is  :

Intel I7 6 Core
16 GB RAM
2GB Videocard

autotech

Re: GA-X79-UD5 Updated Bios (fail) Keyboard(s) now unable to access F9/DEL etc
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 02:05:15 am »
Check this out

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/697533-GUIDE-Forcing-backup-BIOS-on-Gigabyte-motherboards

If you can get back up bios to kick in, then that should help.

Otherwise does hitting delete get you into the bios and once there can you move around in it?
GA-Z170X-UD5,Core i5-6600K,16 GIG,3200 ram ,2 X Corsair 240GB SATA III SSD, 500 gig HD,7 ult 64\, Rx-480 8gig\

Z97X-SOC GIGABYTE, I5 4670k, 16 gig 1600 ram, 240 gig sata3 SSD,1x 500HD/ R9 280x, corsair 650 RM PSU

GA-Z97X-Gaming G1,850 corsair,,DDR4 3200,240SSd,6950 video,850EVA

Canuck

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 05:55:35 am »
Check this out

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/697533-GUIDE-Forcing-backup-BIOS-on-Gigabyte-motherboards

If you can get back up bios to kick in, then that should help.

Otherwise does hitting delete get you into the bios and once there can you move around in it?

Thank you for this.

So far no luck with option 1 and 2 in the link description.  I am worried that if I attempt option 3 in shorting out  1 and 6 on the main Bios chip I might just blow the whole thing up.  I am not even sure it is the right chip I am looking at. IF it is then mine has a blue dot on it and has a total of 8 connecting points to the board?.

What are the chances of frying the whole thing if I fumble?.

I have been at this now for a total of 9 hours. Done so much Googleing and read so much info while plowing through every option that I have seen.  I am at a point where I am starting to think the only option is to take it to a local shop that deals in parts and carry Gigabyte products and say "fix it", knowing full well the first word of the 19 year old "tech" in the store will be..."yeah you will need a new motherboard and Ram, plus a custom spectra sata cable switch benchmark analysis"  (sarcasm). I would not be opposed to seeking pro hands on assistance and will gladly pay for expertise, but before I do it would be good to know that the problem I am facing is easily solveable if the needle in the haystack is found.

Autotech; thanks again !

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 06:10:03 am »
Hi canuck,
I was in this position last year.  Mine was a necessary flash to gain support for ivybridge CPU. 

Had full system back up
Had back up of current BIOS on USB
System connected to UPS
Flashed using DOS based utility
Update reported successful
Then boot loop
No POST
No BIOS
No recovery
No external boot device would detect
Couldn't even boot from the MB CD which is what Asus calls crash-free recovery when a "good" BIOS flash goes wrong

Like you I tried it all, your list brings back such horrible memories.  Something so simple and routine fails.  Enough of my story.

autotechs instructions are recommended <<<

Based on your description/troubleshooting steps, it sounds like the 1st chip is hosed.  (if removing the MB battery with the power disconnected doesn't resolve).  Sadly the Z68, Z77 and X79 MBs share the same flaws when the boot block recovery portion of the BIOS image becomes corrupt.  At that point, a single chip BIOS is finished.  Board is a brick.  With mine, I considered a hot swap reflash, but the replacement was $18 and I had already been up like 18hrs trying to resolve.  Asus BIOS chips aren't soldered to the board...  but there is only one.  >:(  Hence, I'm done with those guys after 13 yrs.

So you've got to get that second BIOS chip to activate if there is any hope of resurrecting your system.

FYI, the BIOS chips are 64mb, 8pin PDIP 300mil.  Apprehension aside, you don't have much more to lose.  If you don't get the second chip working, the primary chip will have to be removed, reflashed and re-soldered to the board.  I hope you can recover  8)     
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 06:42:03 am by shadowsports »
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

diesel

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 09:29:13 pm »
I have a GA-X79-UD5 mobo and on the back panel there is a BIOS switch button,  in your manual on page 20.  This button allows you to select which bios is active, or which bios you want to flash.  Its a 2 position push button switch,  out for 1 BIOS and in for 2 BIOS,  and its lighted when power is on.   See which position its currently in then turn off power change its position and try again.  You could still have one bad BIOS chip but you can control which one is being used.

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 06:15:33 am »
Give this man a CIGAR!  I was scouring this manual last night and completely over looked that.  I even noted button "e" cmos_reset...  what I searched for and what my eyes were drawn to.  Great find  ;)   
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

Canuck

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 09:03:07 am »
I have a GA-X79-UD5 mobo and on the back panel there is a BIOS switch button,  in your manual on page 20.  This button allows you to select which bios is active, or which bios you want to flash.  Its a 2 position push button switch,  out for 1 BIOS and in for 2 BIOS,  and its lighted when power is on.   See which position its currently in then turn off power change its position and try again.  You could still have one bad BIOS chip but you can control which one is being used.

Sadly it has been tried. One of the first things I did was to read the manual twice. Today I had a "pro" look at it. The Pro is a person I know could fix it if it was fixable. I witnessed him take an Ipod apart after it had been submerged in salt water and bring it back to life...he builds circuit boards etc. After 35 minutes he advised me that the main Bios chip was dead. He also stated that the 2nd Bios should work but nope.....

I had to make a decision and act. I am an independent hired gun doing stricht deadline work that has to done and delivered on time or I lose the revenue. SO I replaced the Gigabyte board with an Asus.  The Asus MB allowed me to use the original chipset and limit the expense to about $260 Cad (I am in Canada).  at 4pm today I had the PC back running like nothing happened......

This PC is the only Windows based machine in my office.  I have used MAC for about 15 years and consider this ordeal a learning experience in having to urgently read up and become familiar with this stuff.

THANK YOU to you all for the kind advise and support !.  It is awesome to interact with humans who lend a hand and apply expertise to strangers....

Claus
Vancouver Canada