Official GIGABYTE Forum

very disappointed with Gigabyte

very disappointed with Gigabyte
« on: December 09, 2014, 07:42:05 am »
I have a B85M-D3H rev 2.0 http://www.gigabyte.co.nz/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5013#ov

Many of these B85 boards were advertised as being able to overclock the new G3258.  Naturally i was excited at the prospect and the board i have indeed supports this cpu and allows overclocking with the latest bios update - FB

However after much experimentation i found that the voltage for the cpu is locked to 1.2 max.  How on earth am i expected to overclock my nice new cpu - basically the only reason for buying it was overclocking at this pathetically low voltage?

Now i was about to write this board off to an unfortunate buying experience, then i noticed the rev 1.x of the board, as in the earlier model has had a bios update - F14 which says CPU Vcore voltage option up to 1.8V 

http://www.gigabyte.co.nz/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4567#ov

How hard would it be for Gigabyte to release a new bios for revision 2.0 of this same board?  I am very disappointed and may never buy Gigabyte again.  Can someone @ Gigabyte please spend the meager amount of time it takes to unlock the voltage on this bios and release a beta bios.  I know a little about bios editing and i know for those that are in the know to actually do it is not something that takes months.

This is really frustrating and leaving a bad taste in my mouth towards Gigabyte, cheers.

Re: very disappointed with Gigabyte
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 10:23:47 pm »
I'd also like to add, that when i change some settings in the current version of the bios they don't change until after ive powered down my pc and started it up again, save and exit isn't sufficient.  Im finding it particularly on ram timings this happens.

Wont Gigabyte please fix this bios?  Its the one ive quoted above, FB for the B85M-D3H rev 2.0.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 10:26:25 pm by magnum233 »

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 10:32:14 pm »
Greetings,
I understand how you feel.  You were hoping for more, but overclock-ability (or amount of) is not the fault of gigabyte.  While it is not unreasonable for one to assume greater flexibility and CPU support with a later instead of earlier revision of a board, I don't think gigabyte mis-represented it's support for this chip.  Wasn't this likely another source? 

I'm not trying to make excuses, could it be done, probably.  If I had to guess, I'd blame (lack of this support) on the age of the board in general.  Seems backwards, but it is what it is.       
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 10:34:11 pm by shadowsports »
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 06:58:18 am »
What i don't understand is why would Gigabyte release a bios update for the earlier revision that unlocks vcore voltage, i mean the ability to push the cpu voltage past 1.2 and then not do it to this board.  I find that really strange.  I hope there is a bios being worked on but if not that means myself and others who own this revised board will be out of luck.  I was under the assumption that revisions mean better boards partly because their newer models.

Also i am perplexed that Gigabyte would allow boards like this supporting the G3258 the ability to overclock it yet keep the voltage locked.  Does anyone have a clue as to why the voltage is hardlocked with the bios in the first place?  I find it all very strange, it makes me wonder why even offer the ability to overclock cpu's in the first place if the voltage cant be increased beyond defaults.

I actually feel a bit ripped off.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 07:02:46 am by magnum233 »

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 11:24:00 am »
So after alot more experimentation and stuffing around i have managed to get the G3258 to boot at a whoping 3.5 GHZ!

thats a whole 300 mhz faster than stock speed!  amazing!  seriously, the problem is because the vcore voltage wont go any higher.  Only the vcore voltage can go higher, but its hardlocked in the bios to 1.2 volts.

Im a little bit mystified also as to whats different on rev 2.0, or why rev 2.0 was even introduced.  According to this http://www.gigabyte.com/products/comparison/list.aspx?ck=2&pids=4731,5015  nothing has changed.

I seriously question if Gigabyte bent to pressure from intel on this one.  I look forward to day when a bios update is released for this board that unlocks its vcore voltage and actually makes it useful.  A board that offers overclocking with a locked vcore voltage @ 1.2 is about as useful as a wet paper bag.  Im well aware of z87 motherboards and the like, but go and tell that to someone who's rich.  Subsequently i wont be buying Gigabyte again.

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 10:02:06 pm »
slight edit, i got the comparison link wrong.

http://www.gigabyte.co.nz/products/comparison/list.aspx?ck=2&pids=5013,4567

still i see very little difference.  A few of the slight differences i have noticed after further analysis is one of the chipset heatsinks looks smaller and it looks like rev 2.0 is missing a soldered chip or two.  I believe gigabyte actually downgraded on the revision, it makes zero sense prob an effort to push sales im thinking.  Think another brand will be getting my money next time.

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 02:22:54 pm »
I just asking and I'm not trying to start anything. But I have always want to ask this. Do you really see a change going from like 3.5 to 4.2 or 4.5. I have never OC anything.

Plus again I'm only asking. I think it is more bragging rights than anything. I have had on the same AMD board 3.5, 4.0 & 4.4 CPU's and never really seen a big changes. 

But on most revision you would think that they would keep the things the same. Add stuff to the board that would fix problems on the older boards. Maybe Gigabyte thought that this board wasn't being OC.

So they took stuff away that you didn't need to save them money. I just built a new computer. I went from a x79 2011 with DDR3 memory to a x99 2011v3 with DDR4 memory.

By what I was reading that the DDR4 memory was going to be so much faster. I didn't really see a difference between the two. I feel that is more about sucking the people in to by new stuff that really isn't going to change anything.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 10:31:42 pm »
in this particular case yes, a big diff.  Its due to the cpu, which was intel's first cheap under $100 fully unlocked cpu released in many a year.  On stock speed it is piss poor performance, however once overclocked even by a small amount the performance diff is noticeable.  If you do some searching you will see that people have managed to get these cpu's to performance similar to that of an I5 without any liquid cooling at all just air although this is with a much higher end board such as z87 or z97.  Ive read though that many people have effortlessly pushed up to 4.0 ghz which is a not too shabby increase on many diff b85 motherboards.  This speed can only be achieved if the voltage can go above 1.2 on the vcore and possibly ring increased as well.  Theres an almighty forum thread dedicated to owners of these cpu's which you can have a look at here http://www.overclock.net/t/1500524/intel-pentium-g3258-performance-and-owners-club-now-with-gtx-970

The whole B85 thing seemed a bit of a cashin at the time to me with many diff brands, however i will say that some boards do a much better job of it than others of the same chipset.

The other reason for overclocking my cpu is video card bottlenecking.  Im currently running a 7970 and getting no where near the performance i would be if i had either an i3 or i5 the reason being is due to such a tiny boost in speed thats possible right now.  Its like the weakest link and the motherboard is whats creating this.  There is a noticeable increase in fps in various games as the cpu speed is bumped up.   Ive since requested a modified bios on biosmod forum, if that request is fulfilled i might put the link on here for others after ive tested it ofcourse haha.

On ddr4 yeah your right, ddr4 is a waste of money imo but ive heard there's a much more sophisticated type of ram in the pipeline, prob over the next year or two will be released.  With ram and this is based on much ive read plus alot of my own experience and experimentation timings will yield far greater performance over the rams speed.  tighten your timings up for somewhat decent performance improvements, i tried this crazy experiment oneday and decided to clock my ddr3 down to about 800mhz and ran the timings at something incredibly low.  I gotta say it was fast!  btw dont dable with this unless your ram is heatsinked atleast lol.

Ex core2quad owner with about 10 years of overclocking experience :D

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 10:22:36 pm »
Not a big fan of the Easytune utility but can I ask the OP if that has been tried?
It may not work if as you say the Vcore is locked in the bios but...?
I am not familiar with this board but again is there an option to add a voltage offset in the OC options?

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 10:33:51 am »
Hey there cjapeterborough, thanks for asking. Yes i have already tried this and im aware of the Easytune workaround it allowed me to bump the voltage up by maybe 0.01 lol.  so to exactly on 1.2 volts... joy.

The only fix to this is for gigabyte to release a new bios or for someone to mod it, i believe the later will much more likely happen.

I would mod it myself, but i dont have a spare board lieing around and i know little about modding bioses, its quite complexed and you start dealing with hex and scary stuff haha.  Low level hardware stuff not something im keen on doing at this point.  That said i do know a bit about bios chips physically and have dabbled with hardware hacking.

I remember reading some entirely crazy stuff back in the core2quad era, where people were actually adding in new components to their motherboards, trippy but they achieved darn near perfect overclocks lol.  Since im not a electrical engineer i know nothing about pcb design and modification haha.

Anyways, im already looking at buying another board diff brand.  It'd be nice if this gets fixed soon but my fallback is to buy a diff board and forget about this unpleasant experience.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 10:36:05 am by magnum233 »

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 11:07:08 am »
Just read this....

http://uk.hardware.info/news/36278/intel-restricts-overclocking-on-h81-b85-and-h87-chipsets

If you really want to play with your CPU I think its time to replace the board if you want to overclock buy the Z unfortunately and sell the B.........looks like some of the other manufacturers may have been more proactive with bios releases but if intel intend to limit the overclocking to the Z chipset then you are fighting a losing battle and that also relies on Gigabyte releasing a bios mod too.

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 11:34:25 am »
Thanks bro.  Yeah ive read similar stuff around.  The whole B series chipset boards are kind of junky imo.  Ofcourse their low end but i truely believe many of the uefi bioses on them were quickly slapped together with no serious testing.  The boards weren't always that cheap either, some over $100.

I have stumbled upon something of a gem though in terms of value vs oc'ing features however its for another brand which i wont mention on here.  I can say its the H97 chipset.  sometimes i just wanna throw this junk motherboard in the bin lol.  Endless nights wasted on it haha.

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2015, 12:10:41 pm »
So its come to my attention an interesting thread discussing Gigabyte revisions of motheboards.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274980-spot-the-differences-gigabyte-motherboard-revisions-present-markedly-different-test-results/

There's some fairly indepth discussion going on there and its pretty clear to me that Gigabyte has been nerfing boards to sell for the same price but manufacture cheaper.  Lets hope this does not start happening with higher end boards such as z87 etc.  Apparently its not illegal but it is despicable.  Mind you it could depend on a country's consumer laws.

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2015, 05:54:02 am »
This will be my final post on this matter, time to save up and buy another motherboard from a diff brand.

I wish to draw attention to the following to links

hhttp://tech.firstpost.com/news-analysis/gigabyte-motherboard-revision-updates-not-reflecting-online-e-tailers-247886.html

https://www.techenclave.com/community/threads/parts-missing-in-h81m-s1-and-b85m-ds3h-motherboard.170746/

whilst not my exact motherboard the comparisons of what ive found are sneakingly similar.  Im seeing a pattern here by Gigabyte where it releases a rev of lower end motherboards removes components sometimes quite significant ones which sometimes are important for the proper functioning of the motherboard then proceeds to retail this board at the same price as the earlier version of said motherboard.

After extensive research on my motherboard i have come to the conclusion that some key components were removed and Gigabyte downgraded the board and did not inform retailers of the motherboard being rev 2.0 hence there are many of these boards for sale in my country nz right now http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=1953853

Im 99% sure these aren't old stock and will be exactly the same board i currently have.

I hope my posts bring attention to this, the reason Gigabyte does this is because no one says or does anything about it.  Would you buy a banana were a 3rd of it had been chopped off and yet sold for the price of a whole banana?  I think my point is made.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/gigabyte-pushing-it-a-motherboard-revision-too-far,3.html
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 06:05:50 am by magnum233 »

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 05:29:29 am »
Thanks for sharing your experience (sounds really frustrating  ???) and research.

Overall, I have a very good experience with Gigabyte products. However, lately I have also wondered about specs and whether there are different "variants" of the same products on the market? The pricing in New Zealand seems to vary quite a lot as you pointed out http://www.priceme.co.nz/Gigabyte-GA-B85M-D3H/p-887998973.aspx