Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-X99-Gaming 7 WIFI - after in Os bios update - problem

GA-X99-Gaming 7 WIFI - after in Os bios update - problem
« on: December 20, 2014, 08:54:32 am »
Hello,

I got a GA-X99-Gaming 7 WIFI . I seen 2 new bios updates so i thought lets hit one. My mobo had F3 bios so i went for F5 from the in OS application. Bios went fine it asked the system to reboot after. After the reboot the system shuts down right after the post to enter bios. You cant do anything there not even Qflash.

I switch to the other bios everything seems fine it boots but you can not enter the bios by pressing delete. You end up in a black screen thing is my boot drive is an SSD raid so when i go to the other bios it wont see my drivers as raid and i can not enter the bios to set up the ports as raid.

Is there a way to fix the former bios or make the 1st bios enter bios ?

Please help !!

Re: GA-X99-Gaming 7 WIFI - after in Os bios update - problem
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 10:06:37 am »
Ok so i am trying to recover the bios from the 2nd bios. I used  the power button holding thing but it does not seems to work i did manage to go in bios even at the corrupted one that i updated (still a black screen) . The Fbios_Led does not light up, so i guess nothing is happening (i will let it be for some time mby something will happen even thought manuel said 20-30sec to start recovering)...

* i did rename the bios file as the manual said to GIGABYTE.bin so it will auto detect it once both bios fail.

*i read that the in OS app 90% ruins the bios after the update... Is this true ? Should i just change the motherboard ? I thoghout i could fix it with the 2nd bios.

Some help plz.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 10:08:33 am by ToXic_Chaos »

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 10:22:13 am »
First, you should get away from BIOS flashing with the Windows @BIOS. I've done it myself but it's more reliable to flash with QFLASH.

The BIOS that you said has a black screen sounds corrupted if you can't delete key into it. I did that by not pulling the power plug and pressing the clear CMOS button once. It powered up when I pressed the button and messed it up. That was the 1 time I used @BIOS to fix it. Now I make sure to unplug when clearing the CMOS.

The only other thing I can think of is to use a PS/2 keyboard and see if that lets you in.

I'm no expert on RAID setups, I won't use them. But is sounds like you need to get both your BIOSes in order then re-install O/S. I don't think your motherboard is damaged just corrupted BIOS which can be reflashed.

How come you flashed F5 anyways, Gigabyte posted a F6 for your board?
Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1 BIOS F7, Intel i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64gb 2666 8x8, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, WD VelociRaptor 250gb/1000gb, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, CM Cosmos S, Logitech M570/K800 Wireless Trackball/Keyboard, Windows 7 64 Ultimate

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 10:33:33 am »
At the in OS application the F6 was not available just the F5 plus the F6 is just some thunderbold update so it did not rly matter that much to go on the f6. So i was like lets go with F5 since nothing else changed from f5 to f6 .

I did clear the Cmos with the system powered off  not uncharged after i could not boot in os  (i mean psu was on so there was some elect. in the system)

I mananged to enter Qflash (i was hitting the ''end'' like crazy coz now once it powers up it tries to go in bios but once it goes there there is just a black screen) using ''end'' (i was switched in  the corrupted  bios) managed to open drive and select the bios i was about to smile since the update bar appeared and it just fronze and shut down before start updating -.- .

« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 10:54:38 am by ToXic_Chaos »

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 12:37:18 pm »
I think its the motherboard faulty. There is no other reason not to be able to enter the backup bios (2nd) after the corrapt one failed.

I will cahnge it with warrenty since the 2nd one should have worked but it does not and the motherboard was laggy in bios anyway as default this was one of the reasons made me go for the up date as well.

What do you think ?

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 02:41:17 pm »
Yes you can use either way. But the thing is when you flash the bios. You always shut down unplug the computer. Pull the battery & clear the cmos for 5 to 10 mins.

Then put back in the battery unclear the cmos. Boot up go in and set it to default setting. Reboot and go back in and set everything backup.

But I do have to agree with digital nomad that windows way can be touch & go. Have you tried pulling the battery and clearing the cmos?
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

dmdilks

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 02:44:34 pm »
I think its the motherboard faulty.  It was laggy in bios

If you use the mouse they are all laggy in the bios
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 02:52:38 pm »
I know they are laggy. Its not the 1st UIFE bios mobo i am using. it was realy laggy trust me.

Nah i did not try playing with the battery . I already uninstalled all the solid tubes and drained the water loop (pain in the ass to remove everything from the loop gpus,mobo,cpu, oh god took me so much time) to unplug the motherboard i will be returning the mobo since it did not go at the backup bios by it self but neather the back up bios worked when i switch manualy there should be some problem at hardware lvl . I am just disaponted and i see the value of the msi hand tested mobos and rog as well. I wont change to an other manufacturer but i am realy disapointed coz i have to go though all this .

dmdilks

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 03:19:27 pm »
I'm old school and I have been doing bios updates from a floppy or a usb for yrs. I have always shut down after the update and do the those steps. In 20yrs I had only one bios go bad. That was because of power. By what the MB companies are telling you how to do it is different. But I still like doing my way best.