Official GIGABYTE Forum

problem booting from USB on GB x58-UD5

problem booting from USB on GB x58-UD5
« on: January 08, 2015, 12:31:45 am »
Hi I battle with the troubles lately.

x58-ud5 rev1
i7-920, 12GB RAM
start halts with error code 50h  when bootable USB drive inserted with 64bit system

Description:

During upgrade from Ubuntu 13 to 14.04LTS my Box simply stopped working. After hours of figuring out what is wrong here is what I have found out.:

I can boot from one of my older HDD with old ubuntu 10.04. and I can get into grub shell where I see that the new installation of Ubuntu 14.04 does not have anything in the boot folder. so it got screwed. I thought fine, I get a new one and that's where the real trouble started.

I made a brand new bootable USB stick and tried to boot it only to find out that the machine stops during booting procedure on the code 50h - initialisation of USB.
So I made another USB stick with different version of ubuntu with the same result. 50h.
Then I tried to boot machine with any NON BOOTABLE USB memory stick in it and it starts and attempts to load my unwanted ubuntu 10. fine.
After that I tried to make bootable USB with lightweight debian and voila. the machine starts fine boots from USB. Why?
What is wrong with Ubuntu 14.04 which still does not boot? The answer is nothing. After half an hour I realised I have been trying 32bit version of debian. So I downloaded 64bit image and tested that one. And guess what. It FAILS to start with familiar error code 50h.
Of course I tested Ubuntu 32bit and it works fine.  As well I tested my bootable USB memory sticks with different machines and it all works as expected.

What possibly could be wrong? Why the box does not accept USB drives with 64bit system? I know that ubuntu 10.04 on the old HDD is as well 64bit and is able to run.
I haven't tampered any BIOS or CMOS software so it all comes with factory settings (2010) and was working almost 5 years, but together with i7-920 and 12GB of RAM it still should serve without any troubles.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 12:37:00 am by sagavera »