Official GIGABYTE Forum

Slow boot into Windows 7 64bit. Also Slow Win 7 installation.

Lost

Board is a GA-MA790FXT-UD5P

I've seen some other posts mentioning slow boot up times and installations.

The install took around 30mins maybe more with the computer seemingly 'hanging' on some screens.

Boot up time is around 1 to 2 mins.

Is this correct? Can anyone shed any light on this?

Other specs are :
AMD 955 BE @ 3.2GHz
4GB DDR3 Corsair XMS3 1333MHz RAM
XFX HD5770 video card
500GB Hitachi 0F10381 Deskstar7K1000.C
HX850W PSU
Pioneer DVD SATA dvd drive

RatsAss

Re: Slow boot into Windows 7 64bit. Also Slow Win 7 installation.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 12:43:43 pm »
We have a similar setup.My load time is around 30 secs.
 Shut down is the same more or less.   

When I installed 7 it seemed to stay on the first screen forever,then all went smooth.

Do you have the latest bios for your board? I  had to update to F7 for my processor to run at its proper speed.

I hope you get it sorted out.

Lost

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 01:09:43 pm »
I must admit I'm not sure on the BIOS version yet, I was happy that all components worked first time upon switch on!
I shall check though but it's not a major problem as such, once booted (or installed) the PC runs rock solid and fast.
I just get a bit jealous when someone mentions they have a 10 minute installation and a 15 second boot up time :)

RatsAss

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 12:29:58 am »
15 second boot times might be a result of SSD drives.

I heard they are extremely fast on boot up.  8)

GaryS

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 08:52:15 pm »
I discovered on an obscure Microsoft site that if you don't disable the floppy drive in BIOS (when there is no floppy installed), the installation will either be horribly slow or will fail.  I was having both.

After I did disable the floppy in the BIOS, the installation no longer failed, and went fairly quickly.

I have a SSD for my C:\Windows drive and a big disk for D: (and some other partitions).  My boot times are still in the 45 second range.  In contrast, I have a new install of XP Home 32 bit on a much lower power machine (Athlon X2 250, with 2 gb RAM and Seagate 7200.12), and it reliably boots in under 30 seconds.

If you will take a look (with Process Explorer or similar), Win 7 X64 loads upwards of 100 processes on start up.  The bloat just gets worse.

Pottypete

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 02:04:13 pm »
Hi
Thats one of my reasons to stick with XP to the bitter end M8,
Can you disable a load of the services not required?
Cheers

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 05:54:45 pm »
I have same problem with GA-770TA-UD3 latest bios/updates/floppy turned off and SATA 3 Crucial SSD 256gb drive. Initial new OS install screen takes about 10 min after "windows loading" is done and then another 10 min from the time I click "install windows" to the next screen where you accept agreement etc. Same thing true with AHCI or IDE hard drive modes and two different dvd rom drives.

Even with SATA 3 SSD OS install is unacceptably slow and even after completing the OS install, boot times are slow hung at windows screen more than I have seen with my other cheaper pc builds with intel, zotac, asus motherboards.

I think it is a well know problem with Gigabyte motherboards and I have same problem with other pc's i built with them - GAMA 770DS3, EP 45 DQ6.

It is fine if you leave the pc running all the time, but it makes me wonder if I try another company MB, I may be able to achieve faster read write times as well.

I am jealous  of other SSD users saying few min OS install and few sec boot up times and I am stuck with a slow pc after spending so much money on a high end SSD. I am seriously thinking of swapping MB with Asus and see how things go!

Peter
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 06:05:39 pm by peterrudy »