1. Intel core i7 4790
2. Mobo: (the one mentioned above)
3. Ram: kingston hyperx blu @1600 MHz 8GB
4. CPU cooler: cooler master nepton 140xl
5. psu: cooler master g550m
6. ssd: ocz agility 3 120GB
7. hdd: hitachi deskstar 2tb @ 7200 rpm

i have two problems:

1. i did a fresh install of windows 8.1, installed all the drivers, updated them, installed the latest win 8.1 updates, and i updated the app center, i updated everything except the bios (i am little afraid to update it, bad experience with that). Now, the problem is, in the BIOS, i set the boot sequence only to boot from the ssd. when booting, all goes speedy, but when it loads the desktop, the little dots that go in a circle before showing the desktop are circling for a long time, ~1.5 - 2 minutes, before it loads windows completely. in that period, i listen to the hdd closely, it is loading something from the hdd, even though nothing is installed on the hdd. clarification: the ssd is connected on the sata3_0 port on the mobo, and the hdd is on the sata3_4 port. is there any way to speed up the startup and bypass that read from the hdd?

2. when viewing in the app center, i get a message: SSD drive not detected. My ssd is detected as hdd. is that a big problem and is that connected to the slow boot ? all i am asking is a guide to bypass those two problems (not sure if 2 is an actual problem), or a clarification on why it does that and probably guidelines / recommendations on solving those obstacles. a great product by the way, solid build quality and damn sexy motherboard, i love the scheme. i await your response on this problem.

note: the ssd is formated with gpt partition , while the hdd is still on mbr partition. could that cause the slow boot time?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 11:41:45 am by hristijan.tintar »

autotech

Re: Gigabyte ga-z97x-sli, Rev 1.0 : slow boot, SSD drive not detected
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 03:00:40 am »
App center and windows 8 isn't a good combo. Unplug your Regular hard drive and boot does it still take awhile.

Do you have bios set to AHCI?

Different views on the hard drive part but by the time it gets to windows it should be running solely off SSD.
GA-Z170X-UD5,Core i5-6600K,16 GIG,3200 ram ,2 X Corsair 240GB SATA III SSD, 500 gig HD,7 ult 64\, Rx-480 8gig\

Z97X-SOC GIGABYTE, I5 4670k, 16 gig 1600 ram, 240 gig sata3 SSD,1x 500HD/ R9 280x, corsair 650 RM PSU

GA-Z97X-Gaming G1,850 corsair,,DDR4 3200,240SSd,6950 video,850EVA

Dalork

Re: Gigabyte ga-z97x-sli, Rev 1.0 : slow boot, SSD drive not detected
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 07:50:33 pm »
Don't worry about how app centre reports the SSD, if BIOS and windows once it's loaded see the drive as a SSD then your ok. Also MBR Vs GPT doesn't make it boot slower so I'd not worry about that side either.

I've tried both MBR/GPT and didn't notice any difference between the two for booting/running speeds. I'd try as suggested and see what happen with just the SSD running.

What firmware version is the OCZ SSD running currently, and have to tested it to see if it's the problem. Sadly it's faily common for OCZ SSD's to be flakey.