Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-970A-DS3P motherboard booting but no bios

GA-970A-DS3P motherboard booting but no bios
« on: January 13, 2015, 09:05:39 am »
Hello.

I'm building my first actual pc and after connecting everything as it says it should be connected, the pc is not booting to bios.

Strangely yet, it's not even making any beep sound so it's harder to figure out what's wrong.

My build currently contains;
- amd fx-8350 4 ghz processor
- ga-970a-ds3p motherboard
- corsair 600W power supply
- Asus geforce gtx 750ti
- 8gb ram
- one ssd and one hdd
- one LG blu ray/dvd drive

When I press the power button, the lights come on and the fans on each of the parts come on, which makes me believe that some power is going through but as I said, no beeping, no video output to bios.

I have systematically tried removing each part to check where the problem might be coming from but I don't know what to do anymore.

Please help :'(

autotech

Re: GA-970A-DS3P motherboard booting but no bios
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 11:52:02 am »
Did you try disconnecting the blue ray drive?
GA-Z170X-UD5,Core i5-6600K,16 GIG,3200 ram ,2 X Corsair 240GB SATA III SSD, 500 gig HD,7 ult 64\, Rx-480 8gig\

Z97X-SOC GIGABYTE, I5 4670k, 16 gig 1600 ram, 240 gig sata3 SSD,1x 500HD/ R9 280x, corsair 650 RM PSU

GA-Z97X-Gaming G1,850 corsair,,DDR4 3200,240SSd,6950 video,850EVA

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 02:56:19 pm »
Did you try disconnecting the blue ray drive?

Yeah I did. I ended up removing the hard drives and the bluray drive...

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 07:55:55 pm »
Hi,

Have you attached a motherboard speaker? This should actually come with the PC case not with the motherboard and if you haven't got one that's why you can't hear any POST beeps.

Without a motherboard speaker tracking down the problem will really be a case of trial and error but here are a few things you can try/check to see if you can get the system to BOOT.

When you checked your power connections did make sure that you plugged a 6 pin connector into your graphics card?
Double check the 8 pin connector on the motherboard is seated correctly.

Check for a motherboard electrical short. To do this, remove the motherboard from the PC case and put it onto the cardboard box that the motherboard came in. (If you're not sure how to do this check here: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=3619.0 for more details)

Is your RAM a single stick or is it a kit? If it is a kit then remove all of the modules except for one stick. If still not able to BOOT test with the other(s), one at a time, to see if you have a faulty module.

Disconnect ALL USB devices including mouse & keyboard. Can you get the system to BOOT?

Double check that the CPU is inserted correctly and that there are no bent pins.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 09:30:06 pm »
Hi,

Have you attached a motherboard speaker? This should actually come with the PC case not with the motherboard and if you haven't got one that's why you can't hear any POST beeps.

Without a motherboard speaker tracking down the problem will really be a case of trial and error but here are a few things you can try/check to see if you can get the system to BOOT.

When you checked your power connections did make sure that you plugged a 6 pin connector into your graphics card?
Double check the 8 pin connector on the motherboard is seated correctly.

Check for a motherboard electrical short. To do this, remove the motherboard from the PC case and put it onto the cardboard box that the motherboard came in. (If you're not sure how to do this check here: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=3619.0 for more details)

Is your RAM a single stick or is it a kit? If it is a kit then remove all of the modules except for one stick. If still not able to BOOT test with the other(s), one at a time, to see if you have a faulty module.

Disconnect ALL USB devices including mouse & keyboard. Can you get the system to BOOT?

Double check that the CPU is inserted correctly and that there are no bent pins.

I ended up disconnecting everything and emptying the case. Then re-began the build up from scratch. Turns out I forgot about the atx_12v power supply that interfaces directly with the cpu.

After solving that slight on my part, I managed to get into bios successfully.

Thanks for your help, guys!!!

Greatly, greatly appreciated