Windows 7 64bit can't shutdown, always restart

Windows 7 64bit can't shutdown, always restart
« on: March 21, 2010, 12:14:23 pm »
Hi

Motherboard: X58A-UD3R
Processor: i7 930 @ 2.8 Ghz, no OC
Memory: 6 GB DDR3 Kingston.
Bios: F5

I have a problem with shutdown and sleep.

The computer always restart after  3-5 sec. The only way to shut the computer down, is to cut the power.

This was not a issue when I revive my new computer, this is after i upgraded the Bios or change some setting in the Bios

Any ideas ?     

Re: Windows 7 64bit can't shutdown, always restart
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 08:19:00 pm »
Edit:
The Computer runs normal, but when I want to shut down the computer, it automatic restart after 3-4 sec.

If I cut the power to the power immediately after the PC shut down, I can turn the power back on, the computer don't restart and then I can start the computer the normal way.

skiigor

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 08:40:16 pm »
Same problem on X58A-UD7  :(
http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,1316.0.html

I asked this question in GigaByte Taiwan website and they reply to me saying it is because ITE chipset is faulty and ask me to return for a replacement.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 08:42:33 pm by skiigor »

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 09:07:12 pm »
I have the same problem on UD3R too.

Or kinda have... I cleared CMOS, updated bios to F5, disconnected one harddrive (WD 1TB Caviar Black 7200rpm SATA III w/ 64MB Cache) and reinstalled win7 64 (had to do it for other reasons). Now it shuts down properly...

I tested shutdown pretty much after every option change in bios and after every driver install in OS.

Now all SATA controllers are in AHCI mode.

OS is installed in IDE mode and then AHCI mode turned on.

I didn't turn on quick boot option yet.

This time chipset drivers were first thing I installed.

I didn't try reconnecting that SATA3 hdd back yet.

I didn't install energy saving utility yet.

I don't quite remember at what point system started to shutdown normally (probably after cmos clearing and bios flash). I had it fixing itself before too, when I flashed to F4, noticing the problem and flashing back to F1 (I thought it was a bug in F4). Except it then came back in F1 too...

I didn't try sleeping or hibernating in windows yet. I wonder if bios gets confused about it's shutdown state and treats S5 as one of sleeping states or something...

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 11:13:50 pm »
Hi

Problem solved!  :)

UnFleshedOne gave me the solution, thx

Under “Integrated Peripherals”
I change all SATA setting from IDE to ACHI.
I change …
ICH SATA Control Mode
eSATA Ctrl Mode
GSATA 6_7IDE Ctrl Mode
GSATE 8_9IDE Ctrl Mode
…. from IDE to ACHI

The restart issue was properly after BIOS upgrade, then all BIOS setting is set to default.
I have also reinstalled Windows 7 but that did not solve my problem, I wish I had this solution yesterday  ???

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 01:45:22 am »
It just started doing it again for me...

What I think happened is:

I have Cosmos S cooler master case, with sensor power button. Just now when machine was off I hit it about 3 times in short interval (I thought I missed first 2). It started up and then immediately shutdown, then started up again. I suspect that at this point dual bios detected failed post or something and restored bios. It then restarted machine again and I got into cleared bios (even date and time were reset).

I set correct time, loaded all settings from memory (my saved profile and last good boot weren't deleted), booted into win 7 and logged in. Then I immediately shut it down. It restarted instead.

I think I tried another couple of times and then I cut power and cleared cmos (pressing down the button in the back for 10 seconds).

Interestingly, clearing cmos didn't clear date and time.

Then I loaded profile from a flash drive instead (pretty similar to what I had in memory).

Booted into OS and shut it down and it was staying down properly...

So I guess it isn't any bios settings, like ahci versus ide. It is a glitch with dual bios autorestoring. Or something...
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 01:46:41 am by UnFleshedOne »

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 02:19:42 pm »
It also happened for me again……

I can get it up and running, if I press the reset BIOS button and make a new configuration.
But it only last one day, next day, the PC f***ed up again.

UnFleshedOne suspect Dual Bios, I agreed   

So now my motherboard is replaced with a new one.

Hope this will work

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 04:17:52 pm »
Spagnum_dk, did you get X58A-UD3R again?

I see this problem pretty much every cold boot too. Just shutting down, letting it cool down for a minute and powering back resets bios, system clock and all (but not saved profiles)...

I'm going to see if retailer will replace the board before RMAing it to gigabyte.

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 04:24:18 pm »
Yep, the PC was only 10 days old, so there was an warranty on the board.

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 08:27:19 am »
Update:

Got a new motherboard install yesterday, this morning the machine did the same, there was a bios failure,  I configured the BIOS again, but still Windows restarts on shutdown.  >:(

Now I will try to return the whole PC

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 04:54:06 am »
I'd expect much more people with same problem then...

Can you post all your components if you didn't return it yet? In case it is some weird incompatibility with PSU or something.

Mine are:

Case: Cooler Master Cosmos S, full tower
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-850TX
CPU: i7 930, batch 3001A135
CPU cooling: Cooler Master V8
RAM: GSkill F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ, triple channel, 3x2Gb
DVDRW: Samsung S243D/BEBE 24x SATA
HDD: 150 Gb velociraptor (SATA2), 1Tb WD black (SATA3, 64Mb cache), 1Tb WD black (SATA2, 32Mb cache)

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 06:26:33 am »
Can you also post batch number of you MB? (apparently first 4 digits in serial number). And for old one if you still have it somewhere.

Mine is 1006

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 04:32:53 pm »
Hi.

Another update. I downgraded my BIOS from F5 to F4, and my PC has been stable for 3 days now.

This is what I know about my components:

Case:   Vision Silent miditower
PSU:   Energon 750W
CPU:   i7 930
CPU Cooling : Scythe Shuriken Retail
RAM: DDR3-1333 Kingston 3 x 2GB
DVDRW: Sony AD-5240S-0B SATA DVD-RW Black
HDD: 1TB Seagate SATAII 7200 RPM.

I still have the box from my old motherboard, and the serial starts with 1004
Can't find the serial on the new motherboard.

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 11:42:18 pm »
first thanks UnFleshedOne

http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,1316.0.html

can you guys check you enable the turbo boost etc power management related setup in CPU setup ? Try to disable all power related setup including those in CPU section?

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 02:41:52 am »
I can't check now, since my new MB doesn't seem to have the problem. But I'm fairly sure I did try disabling everything possible power related, including CPU options, which I disabled for overclocking anyway. It is still possible that every time it got the problem (cold boot, bios resets, windows starts rebooting instead of shutdown from now on), some of those options were enabled -- I didn't specifically control for them.

I suspect all the solutions just make it go away for a while...

It is also possible that "cold boot reset" and "reboot instead of shutdown" are two completely unrelated problems that just happen to manifest together on the board I had. Since nobody specifically reported first one... (or did I miss it?)

If you are right and i7 power options are what is causing it, you should be able to reproduce the bug at will: turn off all CPU options -- problem goes away, turn them on -- problem is back, and it goes away again when they are off.