Official GIGABYTE Forum

Windows 7 64bit can't shutdown, always restart

Re: Windows 7 64bit can't shutdown, always restart
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2010, 01:56:31 pm »
Hi.

Update.

The supplier has changed my mother board ones more.
So this is motherboard number tree.
So far the PC is working with no problems  :)

m76

Re: can't shutdown, always restart
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2010, 11:54:05 am »
I have the same issue, no matter how I shut down the pc, after a few seconds it boots up again, unless I cut the power. I wrote gigabyte support and they gave me nothing, except to return the board to the retailer. Now that I don't want to do since dismantling the computer would take half a day, and after that I'd stuck for two weeks  without a computer while the retailer sits on the returned board. (they confirm that its faulty 2-3 days, then they return it to the distributor, who also check if its really faulty that's another week, and when they give the go ahead the retailer orders a replacement, which if I'm lucky I can get in two days)

As I see nobody was able to confirm what causes this problem, even the replacement didn't solve it permanently. But everyone just suddenly disappeared, so I ask: Did you gave up all hope, or you found the solution and just didn't bother posting it?

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: can't shutdown, always restart
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2010, 01:05:23 pm »
I have the same issue, no matter how I shut down the pc, after a few seconds it boots up again, unless I cut the power. I wrote gigabyte support and they gave me nothing, except to return the board to the retailer. Now that I don't want to do since dismantling the computer would take half a day, and after that I'd stuck for two weeks  without a computer while the retailer sits on the returned board. (they confirm that its faulty 2-3 days, then they return it to the distributor, who also check if its really faulty that's another week, and when they give the go ahead the retailer orders a replacement, which if I'm lucky I can get in two days)

As I see nobody was able to confirm what causes this problem, even the replacement didn't solve it permanently. But everyone just suddenly disappeared, so I ask: Did you gave up all hope, or you found the solution and just didn't bother posting it?

Can you give a few more concise details of your setup please and maybe we can discover the answer to your problem.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2010, 05:10:06 pm »
My second MB didn't have this problem. I'm running 64 bit Win7 for several month now without any problems.

cwm9

X58A-UD3R Can't Shut Down, Causes Reboot & Won't Standby S3 Fixed
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2010, 03:09:31 pm »
I had this problem and it was driving me nuts.  For months I have been without power off and S3 functionality.  I was THIS close to RMAing the board when I finally found a solution.

The problem is some strange BIOS or hardware bug and has not been fixed even as of the f6 beta.  It is possible the bug is a hardware bug only on the V1 board.

I know for a fact that it is a BIOS or hardware design flaw and not a driver problem because you don't to boot Windows to demonstrate the problem.

If you cold boot the computer and press END on the bios start screen you enter a bios utility which purpose is to back up or restore the bios from a drive.  In that utility there are menu items that let you either immediately reboot or turn off the computer.  If you select the "turn off computer" item, the system turns off and then immediately reboots (if you have the problem.)  This happens even if you have just performed cold boot from a power-cord removed state.

I tried repeatedly loading the default/failsafe settings, but that never worked.  I even tried flashing to F5 from F3, then F6beta from F5, to F1 from F5, and then back to F5.

Finally out of desperation I used the blue CLR CMOS button on the rear of the computer (with the power off!) and this caused everything to start working properly again.  (I also cleared the DMI pool, but I now believe this had nothing to do with the fix since I ended up fixing the problem twice and didn't clear the DMI pool the second time.)

Interestingly enough, the problem reappeared after about 30 minutes when I tried to let the computer auto-enter the sleep state.  I had already manually shut down the computer successfully several times as well as manually entering the sleep state and restoring several times.  Remember I had been unable to do this for months prior.

As an experiment, I saved the BIOS profile and used the clr-cmos button again, and again the problem went away.  I then restored the saved profile and the problem was still gone.  Whatever causes the problem it is not touched by saving or loading the cmos settings via bios software, but IS fixed by hitting that blue button.

I then upgraded my INF to the latest version and turned off USB selective suspend and disabled wake timers in the power options dialog trying to find a magic bullet fix that would prevent the problem from appearing and have not since (in two days)  had any problems.  Whether I stumbled across a fix that is keeping the cmos from getting messed up or whether the cause is random and I just haven't hit it again yet I don't know.

Does hitting the clr-cmos button clear more of the cmos than can be done from the bios utility, or is there some other part of the same chip that latches up and needs resetting that simply cannot be reset any other way because of the constant application of battery power?  I don't know that either.

I do know that twice in a row I was able to fix the problem by saving my cmos profile, hitting the blue clr-cmos button with the power off, and then restoring the profile.

If using the "shut down" option from bios utility you get to by pressing the END key on boot doesn't cause a reboot for you then this probably won't help, but it has sure been a lifesaver for me.  I am very confident this will fix the problem for some people since I had to do it twice and since the second time it was the only action I performed to fix the problem.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 03:57:18 pm by cwm9 »

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2010, 03:26:45 pm »
I think that you are getting mixed up between the BIOS and the CMOS. The CMOS is a memory of all your hardware that you have installed. The BIOS is a list of settings of how that hardware is to be configured on startup. Changing the BIOS options has no bearing on the CMOS. That is what is cleared by the Blue Button and cannot be done from inside the BIOS.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

cwm9

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2010, 03:41:12 pm »
I think that you are getting mixed up between the BIOS and the CMOS.

No, I am not getting mixed up.  Sorry, but your statement is in error.  The BIOS is the firmware which is flashed to the FLASH non-volatile bios chip.  It is the software which runs when you first power on your computer.  It is the software which MANIPULATES the settings.  No settings are stored in on the flash chip itself as it must be erased prior to being written.  (When you flash your BIOS, this is the "erasing flash" stage.)

CMOS is the batter-powered static ram which stores the settings manipulated by the BIOS as well as the DMI pool.  Everything you change using the BIOS is saved in the CMOS.

"Changing the CMOS" and "Changing the BIOS settings" are synonymous for the most part (with the exception of the DMI pool.)

The list of resources you mention is the DMI pool and is also generated by BIOS -- it is just not user generated.  It is also stored in CMOS, but as I already said, I don't think the DMI pool is the problem.  (Of course, clearing the cmos also clears the DMI pool as they are stored on the same physical chip at different addresses.)  Why don't I think it's a DMI problem?  Because clearing the DMI is a simple process of erasing a range of addresses which triggers the BIOS to completely rebuild the table.  I find it hard to come up with a problem that would not disappear after performing a complete table rebuild.  It's not impossible, just unlikely.  (Besides, does it matter really?  Hitting the blue button fixes the problem.  Maybe it's a DMI problem.  Maybe it's a bios settings problem.  Regardless, it's a bit in the cmos problem probably.)

Until proven wrong, I stand by the solution posted above.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 03:52:01 pm by cwm9 »

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2010, 03:48:13 pm »
I didn't say your solution was wrong  only that I thought you were getting mixed up. The BIOS chip is 8Mb and when you flash the BIOS you only flash 1Mb so the rest of the information stored is still there.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

cwm9

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2010, 03:53:58 pm »
I didn't say your solution was wrong  only that I thought you were getting mixed up. The BIOS chip is 8Mb and when you flash the BIOS you only flash 1Mb so the rest of the information stored is still there.

When you press the blue button the rest of the information is still there, too.  The BIOS chip requires power to be erased as it is FLASH and not battery powered.  If that wasn't the case, pressing the blue button would erase your BIOS and you would no longer be able to boot at all!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 03:54:41 pm by cwm9 »

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2010, 04:08:44 pm »
Well I am glad to see that you do understand it all and that you have fixed your initial problem. ;)
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2010, 04:35:37 pm »
Yep, clearing CMOS was fixing it for me to. But it would always return eventually.

cwm9

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2010, 05:29:54 pm »
Yep, clearing CMOS was fixing it for me to. But it would always return eventually.

I will cross my fingers that updating the .inf will fix the problem more permanently for me.  Before I updated it, the problem reappeared within thirty minutes, but after updating it the problem has gone away for several days and the computer has been through at least 50 s3 sleep/restore cycles.  Here's to hoping...

roks

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2010, 11:26:35 am »
Hi All,

Joined to share my frustration with this restarting business. Its exctly the problem as original poster but my board is P965-DS4, firmware F11

Mine started after about 8 months of use. After googling, I found a forum where they were talking about replacing the BIOS battery, so I did. I have been replacing batteries everytime it starts rebooting....battery lasts about 6 months.

But recently it developed a new fault, along with the reboot issue. When I restart the PC I get the single beep, then detecting HDD..then rapid beeps and PC restarts again, this keeps looping. So I unplug the power, wait few minutes and reconnect. It boots up fine but the original restart after shutdown returned. I replaced the battery only a month ago, so cant be that.

I am begining to get cheesed of with Gigabyte, the last 2 boards lasted last 2 years, failed just after warranty period, sodds law.

If anyone know what this rappid beeping is, please let me know.

----------------------------------------------------
Model Name : GA-965P-DS4(rev. 1.0)
M/B Rev : 1.0
BIOS Ver : F11
VGA Brand : GIGABYTE      Model : GT9600 silent
CPU Brand : Intel      Model : E6400      Speed : 2.4Ghz
Operation System : Win 7 64-bit      
Memory Brand : Kingston  DDRII
Memory Size : 8Gb, 667Mhz
Power Supply : 550 W
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 11:28:47 am by roks »
Intel i5-2500K +stock cooler
GA-Z68X-UD4-B3, Bios F6
8GB Corsair Vengence
60GB Kingston SSD - OS
Antec NeoHE 550watts
3x160gb Hitachi sata2
1x250gb Hitachi sata2
1xLiteOn 16x DVD

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2010, 11:40:01 am »
Well it would seem from your description that you have two different problems. TYhe first would sound like a short on the board that keeps draining your CMOS battery down and secondly maybe a memory or power fault. Can you list your hardware for us please?
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

roks

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2010, 12:01:22 pm »
Hi Dark mantis,

Thanks for the quick reply, here are some more details, pls let me know if I have missed anything.

Core2Duo E6400 2.4Ghz - No overcloking
Antec Neo 550watts PSU
Antec Solo case
1xDVD
1xDVD-RW
2x Hitachi 160Gb, raid 0
1x Hitachi 250gb
4x 2Gb Kingston DDR2 667
GA-8600GT silent

1xantec 120mm fan near
2x80mm intake fans
Intel i5-2500K +stock cooler