Official GIGABYTE Forum

Memory voltages and bsod on ga-ma790xt-ud4p

Memory voltages and bsod on ga-ma790xt-ud4p
« on: March 21, 2010, 07:32:42 pm »
Hello everyone,
New to the forum due to problems I am experiencing with my new giga-byte set up. I have the following set up
ga-ma790xt-ud4p bios 7
AMD Phenom II quad core 945
2Gb 1333 memory (was 4GB but one ram module found to be defective) 1333MHz RAM Speed, CAS 9-9-9-24 Timings, 1.8-1.9v VDIMM
ATI 1950XT 524Mb graphics

From build with XP or windows 7 installed I have been getting BSODs with various causes like" memory management". During trials of elimination I found one of my rams was defective. The other was checked over night by memory checker and passed. However I have noticed that the memory was listed in the suppliers page as (1333MHz RAM Speed, CAS 9-9-9-24 Timings, 1.8-1.9v VDIMM). The mother board voltage is at present in auto. If I switched it to 1.8 would I cause any damage?

Although I have built several computers in the past I have never been one for fiddling with the bios.
Many thanks

Peter

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Memory voltages and bsod on ga-ma790xt-ud4p
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 08:21:15 am »
Hi Peter,

If you are stable now, having removed the suspect stick of RAM then you most probably don't need to alter anything but, if you are still getting BSOD's it could well be caused by the lower default voltage on the RAM. Changing this to the manufacturers rating should not cause any problems.

You need to use the MIT section, in BIOS to make these alterations however, you will most probably get an overclock/voltage warning in BIOS when you do so. This is standard caution warning (I get it when I go from 1.5v to 1.65v) and you don't need to worry the motherboard will take it and so will your RAM.

Hope this helps.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 05:35:43 pm »
Thankyou for the confidence. I was still getting BSODs with the remaining ram so I carried out the voltage change and raised it up to 1.8V.
earlier today. So far so good no crashes what so ever....... fingers crossed.
PS I was tried the suspect ram at the new voltage and it failed the memory tester straight away. Will have to send it back

regards

Peter

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 10:14:02 am »
Well the computer has been running for two days now and no blue screen of death. So must have been the voltage setting. Novatech.co.uk has promised to refund cost of memory if I return it, no quibbles. Will also refund postage if their tests prove that the one stick is defective.
Hope this thread helps someone else sort out memory problems

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 10:18:44 am »
Hi,

Thanks for the update. As a matter of curiosity which brand of memory are you using?

The reason that I am asking is that there appears to be a lot of problems with memory on various platforms and I am trying to see if it is due to any one particular memory brand.

Thanks
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 08:53:28 pm »
Hi,
The memory came from Novatech and is their branded type. (see www.Novatech.co.uk) part code is RAM-313334. I have now changed to Kingston 1600 (2x2GB). but the voltage of these still needs to be set to 1.8Vs in the bios

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 09:03:25 pm »
Thanks for the info and I hope that your system now runs as it should. ;)

I have now changed to Kingston 1600 (2x2GB). but the voltage of these still needs to be set to 1.8Vs in the bios
Yes, I know. For some reason gigabyte seem to set all memory at 1.5v by default