Official GIGABYTE Forum

P35X V3-CF2 black screen after windows update

Jigz

P35X V3-CF2 black screen after windows update
« on: February 24, 2015, 09:31:22 am »
Hi all,

First post here so apologies if I commit some faux pas by not following unwritten forum etiquette! Just wondering if anyone else had black screen issues with their P35X laptop when using windows update?

I'd just spent 8 hours building the laptop and layering my applications on over the weekend, ready for one final reboot before I got my game on. Hit reboot, got a message saying 'Installing Updates', rebooted, logged in then just got a black screen. WTF! Spent the next day throwing expletives at the laptop and Microsoft!!

Tried everything from uninstalling both graphics devices, including drivers (after coming across an article which mentioned that the black screen problem was caused by Win 8.1 auto installing a nvidia driver which causes conflict) and I also uninstalled everything to do with nvidia. Booted up again and again with the same issue. Have tried recovery point restore with no success as well as a full 'refresh' which worked for one boot up but then had the same issue. I've unchecked the 'allow windows to update drivers' option under windows update as well but with no success.

Finally this morning I gave in and rebuilt from scratch, turned off auto update and driver update and so far so good.

Was just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and if so whether they were able to recover without a full rebuild?

Thanks!!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 09:32:10 am by Jigz »

Jigz

Re: P35X V3-CF2 black screen after windows update
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 02:42:06 pm »
So....after a re-occurrence and lots of trial and error, I've narrowed this problem down to a single Windows Update package: KB2975719.

Uninstalling this update after booting into safe mode seems to have fixed the issue. Once you uninstall the update, the next boot will show the configuring windows screen. Nothing to worry about as I think this is simply backing out the update.