Official GIGABYTE Forum

GV-N960WF2OC-2GD (GTX960): Fans loud on boot

GV-N960WF2OC-2GD (GTX960): Fans loud on boot
« on: March 17, 2015, 08:03:57 pm »
Hi all,

I've had an issue since Saturday/Sunday where my graphics card is really loud as soon as I turn my PC on. Eventually after loading Windows it settles down (can take a range of times, from 20 minutes+ to hours). Below are images from GPUZ of the fan when it's being loud (left), and when it eventually idles again (right). Nothing else was open when I took these screencaps.

http://postimg.org/image/z3iaeqbvx/full/

Any ideas on what might cause this? I haven't changed anything for this to occur.

Previous drivers: 347.52

I can post more specs if you think that would be relevant.

Re: GV-N960WF2OC-2GD (GTX960): Fans loud on boot
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 01:47:54 pm »
They all do that - until the driver has loaded and has taken over fan control they spin at full speed.

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 08:02:13 pm »
It didn't for the first 15 days. It was typically silent under minimal load - the fans are completely off relying on passive diffusion until required, no?

How long does it take to load this driver? I've had hours where this noise has occurred :/

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 08:50:29 am »
Gigabyte graphics cards don't shut the fans off, even when under idle conditions (unless they're broken).

After reading your post, it shouldn't take that long for the fans to slow down - a minute at most.

Have you installed the Guru II utility? It'll allow you to monitor the fan speed and set your own profile if you want.

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 04:15:24 pm »
I'd argue they are off completely. See my picture on the right - they are spinning at 0 RPM.

Also, Gigabyte themselves claim they remain off under low load:
"0dB semi-passive fans
Featuring the new semi-passive fan design. When the GPU is under a set loading or temperature, the fans will remain off, creating an absolutely silent environment for gamers." ( http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5373#ov )

I had it whirring loudly for over 30 minutes last night before I just had to turn off my PC due to noise.

I'll look into the program you suggest, thanks, but that doesn't solve the apparent issue. I will see if I can contact customer support.