Official GIGABYTE Forum

"H97M-HD3": Help with cpu performance

"H97M-HD3": Help with cpu performance
« on: February 21, 2015, 08:43:35 am »
So about a year ago i got this new pc for heavy gaming.

my pc specs are:

My PC:
Processor: Intel Quad Core i7 4790 3.6Ghz S1150
Mother-board: Gigabyte GA-H97M-HD3 S1150
Random-access memory: 8GB kingston DDR3 1600Mhz
Graphics card: GeForce Gigabyte GTX970 4GB WF3
Solid-State drive: Kingston 240g Sata3 V300
Hard-disk drive: Seagate 1T 3.5" Sata3 Barracuda
Optical-disk drive: LG DVD-RW x24 GH24NS90
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Black
Power supply: Seasonic 620W
Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 103​

The whole system is supposed to run games on an ultra settings without any problem.
although I'm experiencing low fps (even around 20) while playing on games that doesn't require that much of an effort.

So I went to the nvidia forums and I got several answers:
1. turn off c-states - main answer.
2. turn on High precision event timer.
3. check if you have the latest bios.

my answers:
3. my bios is from 26.4.2014 and i don't think that's the problem.
2. i wanted to ask if this will make any diffrence.
1. so i tried to go to the bios but i couldn't find anything that is related to cpu frequency or c-states. by the way im using bios version f5, uefi dual-bios.

so i need help finding the c-states or whatever responsible for that in the bios, and would be glad if you can say your opinion about the HPET.

thanks from advance

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: "H97M-HD3": Help with cpu performance
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 12:11:26 am »
Was it always like this or did get worse over time? What antiviruses do you run? What OS are you running? Windows 7 will park 4 out of the 8 cores on you. If you have a lot of stuff running in the background that will hurt you too.

I have been running i7's from when they first came out. I have never had to turn stuff off or on in the bios to make the computer run games any better. One other thing is just games or the computer in general?
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 09:57:01 pm »
Was it always like this or did get worse over time? What antiviruses do you run? What OS are you running? Windows 7 will park 4 out of the 8 cores on you. If you have a lot of stuff running in the background that will hurt you too.

I have been running i7's from when they first came out. I have never had to turn stuff off or on in the bios to make the computer run games any better. One other thing is just games or the computer in general?
thanks for the answer(i wasn't home for a week),
I am running windows 7 64 bit, im using microsoft security essintials(had McAfee and hated it), i dont have much stuff running on the background only steam, skype and anti-virus  maybe some drivers nothing that should hurt the system.
the problem is the graphics card the many people complained about, the gtx 970.
and so i contacted the geforce forums and they told me the (probably) problem is that it's not getting enough power(i guess?) and so i need to turn of my c-states.

so i came to this forum in order to get help finding that option in the bios, because i didn't.
as i said my bios version is 'F5' and my motherboard is "H97M-HD3".

now maybe i got it clearer.

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 02:26:01 pm »
This is on page 19 & 20 in the book. Now where is it under:

Advanced CPU Core Settings
& CPU Clock Ratio, CPU Frequency
The settings above are synchronous to those under the same items on the Advanced Frequency Settings
menu.

C3 State Support (Note 1)
Allows you to determine whether to let the CPU enter C3 mode in system halt state. When enabled, the
CPU core frequency and voltage will be reduced during system halt state to decrease power consumption.
The C3 state is a more enhanced power-saving state than C1. Auto lets the BIOS automatically configure
this setting. (Default: Auto)

C6/C7 State Support (Note 1)
Allows you to determine whether to let the CPU enter C6/C7 mode in system halt state. When enabled, the
CPU core frequency and voltage will be reduced during system halt state to decrease power consumption.
The C6/C7 state is amore enhanced power-saving state than C3.Auto lets the BIOS automatically configure
this setting. (Default: Auto)
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.