Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-X99-UD4 No Beeps, No Post and No Loop

GTOMAD

GA-X99-UD4 No Beeps, No Post and No Loop
« on: March 01, 2015, 10:00:28 pm »
Hi all,
I know this issue seems to be something from Ground Hog Day and there are facets of this threads everywhere, however I haven't found a thread where I'm experiencing the same issue.

Hardware:
MOBO:  x99-UD4
CPU: i7-5960x
COOLER: Corsair H100i
RAM: Kingston Hyperx 4x4 (16GB) HX430C15PB2K4/16
VIDEO: Matrox M9188 and M9148
SSD
PSU: Thermaltake 750w Toughpower Gold
CASE: Thermaltake Core V71

On very first start up, when I turned on the PSU the system was in standby/ready. I pressed the power button on the case. The machine booted, ran for 5 seconds and then the PSU shutdown the system. There was no loop.
In that 5 seconds all fans and lights powered up, the red LED in the top left corner of the mobo lit up for a second then it all shutdown. The only USB device I had connected was the keyboard and the Corsair cooler on internal USB.
However when I turned off the PSU, waited and then turned it back on, the system automatically booted without using the case power switch. Which leads me to believe the mobo is bridged open.

Troubleshooting:
Stepped through the mobo troubleshooting steps to the letter
Checked F_Panel was plugged in correctly, System still boots when the case isn't connected.
Check RAM for correct slots, tried booting using all four individually in slot DDR4_1_1A and in combinations of two's.
Removed both Video cards, tried them in individually
Removed RAM and Videocards
Disconnected the SSD
Cleared CMOS, left the battery out for great than 10 minutes and all steps again.
Ensured the CPU 12v was connected correctly
Tried a different PSU
Removed everything from the mobo, including CPU, so only main power and 12v CPU power was connected.
Even connected a PS2 keyboard

All of these resulted in the exact same outcome.
Switching on PSU instantly boots, run for 5 seconds, No beep, No POST and No Loop.

I can't flash the bios as the keyboard will not enable, for either the USB or PS2
The only thing I haven't tried is a different video card, but I think I have exhausted all avenues to be left disappointed the mobo has to go.

Any thoughts that I may have missed or haven't tried, I'd be interested to know.

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: GA-X99-UD4 No Beeps, No Post and No Loop
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 03:55:02 pm »
All I can say is remove the board from the case and try it. I myself have a test station that I test all boards before I put them in a case. I could be shorting out on something.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

GTOMAD

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 02:23:40 pm »
While I have taken the board out and physically checked it before re-seating it. I haven't tried the board out of the case.
I'll give it a go and let you know, thanks.

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 10:24:01 am »
Speaking of shorting out.

When I took my old motherboard out (Gigabyte G1.Assassin 2) and put in the X99 Gaming G1, I had a extra motherboard screw left over ? ? ? ? ?

Then I realized that the G1.Assassin 2 used 10 motherboard stand offs and the Gaming G1 uses 9 stand offs. I took the extra stand off out before I powered up the board. It was at the back near the sound chip area.

Without looking, I think all the Gigabyte X99 boards use 9 stand offs.

Makes me wonder if I would have shorted out my board if I didn't catch it. Not sure if there would have been any metal to metal contact there.

Hope that's not the case with you and you solve your problem.
Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1 BIOS F7, Intel i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64gb 2666 8x8, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, WD VelociRaptor 250gb/1000gb, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, CM Cosmos S, Logitech M570/K800 Wireless Trackball/Keyboard, Windows 7 64 Ultimate

GTOMAD

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 12:15:30 am »
Thanks Digital Nomad,  :)
I too thought exactly the same checking the standoffs to what the board needed, so I confirmed the number of standoffs didn't out numbered what the board needed. I also took the board out of the case and tried it again. But wasn't successful.
So now I have changed over the board for another GA-X99-UD4 and will see tonight if my issues have been resolved. I'll keep you all posted.

naveed

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 08:02:40 am »
Hi all,
I know this issue seems to be something from Ground Hog Day and there are facets of this threads everywhere, however I haven't found a thread where I'm experiencing the same issue.

Hardware:
MOBO:  x99-UD4
CPU: i7-5960x
COOLER: Corsair H100i
RAM: Kingston Hyperx 4x4 (16GB) HX430C15PB2K4/16
VIDEO: Matrox M9188 and M9148
SSD
PSU: Thermaltake 750w Toughpower Gold
CASE: Thermaltake Core V71

On very first start up, when I turned on the PSU the system was in standby/ready. I pressed the power button on the case. The machine booted, ran for 5 seconds and then the PSU shutdown the system. There was no loop.
In that 5 seconds all fans and lights powered up, the red LED in the top left corner of the mobo lit up for a second then it all shutdown. The only USB device I had connected was the keyboard and the Corsair cooler on internal USB.
However when I turned off the PSU, waited and then turned it back on, the system automatically booted without using the case power switch. Which leads me to believe the mobo is bridged open.

Troubleshooting:
Stepped through the mobo troubleshooting steps to the letter
Checked F_Panel was plugged in correctly, System still boots when the case isn't connected.
Check RAM for correct slots, tried booting using all four individually in slot DDR4_1_1A and in combinations of two's.
Removed both Video cards, tried them in individually
Removed RAM and Videocards
Disconnected the SSD
Cleared CMOS, left the battery out for great than 10 minutes and all steps again.
Ensured the CPU 12v was connected correctly
Tried a different PSU
Removed everything from the mobo, including CPU, so only main power and 12v CPU power was connected.
Even connected a PS2 keyboard

All of these resulted in the exact same outcome.
Switching on PSU instantly boots, run for 5 seconds, No beep, No POST and No Loop.

I can't flash the bios as the keyboard will not enable, for either the USB or PS2
The only thing I haven't tried is a different video card, but I think I have exhausted all avenues to be left disappointed the mobo has to go.

Any thoughts that I may have missed or haven't tried, I'd be interested to know.

Remove the USB Connector for H100i from the Motherboard USB Header and Try.

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 09:30:45 pm »
Hi,

I have exactly the same issue. Did the new motherboard solve your problem?

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 10:53:06 am »
Hey there,

I have the same problem.  Can you confirm that the new motherboard solved it - or has anyone else solved the problem?

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 04:09:05 am »
It is likely to be a physical problem. Read this http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=16664.0

... and check if your pins in your CPU socket are bent. A problem with the socket in this generation of boards from Gigabyte, it seems to me.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 04:12:44 am by computermensch »