Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-MA78G-DS3H ...... Unable to Flash BIOs to F8 or F9

GA-MA78G-DS3H ...... Unable to Flash BIOs to F8 or F9
« on: March 03, 2015, 05:03:43 pm »
Hi

Ive having some major problems Updating my Bios using the QFlash from a USB PenDrive

I have a GA-MA78G-DS3H which had a Athlon 64 X2 5000+ CPU, I took that out and replaced it with a Phenom II X4 955  3.2 GHZ Black... Amazingly it booted up to windows and  I took this photo

It says processor Unknown 4 CPUs

But i was told by someone that i should update the BIOs with the Old CPU first.

So i took out the Phenom and replace it with the Athlon 64 X2

Ok

I cant seem to update the BIOs to F8 or F9 so that i can use the newish CPU

I tried using a Bootable USB Stick by putting (FAT 32) using HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool  and Win98bootNow

I then put MA78GD3H.F9,  FLASHSPI.exe, autoexec.bat I press DEL choose F8 QFlash Choose HDD1 (pen drive) i locate the file and its starts to flash the BIOs but i get this error

If i try a different Method

Create USB BOOT , and the 3 Bios files choose F12, Pick USB HDD i get this error

Dont know what im doing wrong, Also do i need a Bios update as Phenom boots up to windows with old BIOs

Hope the pros can help

zack

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: GA-MA78G-DS3H ...... Unable to Flash BIOs to F8 or F9
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 07:34:10 pm »
Hi,

yes, to gain full functionality of the Phenom x4 you will need to update the BIOS.

Be careful when flashing BIOS. The error message you are getting is telling you that the BIOS version is probably the incorrect version for your motherboard. You need to double check which revision your motherboard is as there are two versions available. TO check which revision of motherboard you have look at the lower left hand corner of the actual motherboard (you will have to open the PC case to do this) and it is printed there and it will show something along the lines of: Rev1.0 or Rev2.0

Rev 1.0 will require the F9 BIOS to run the Phenom. This revision of motherboard will only run the 95W version of this processor
Rev 2.x (the x indicates another number such as 0, 1 etc) will require BIOS version FC or FDF. The BIOS version you will need depends on the version of CPU, FC for the 125W version and FDF for both versions 125W & 95W.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 03:29:53 pm »
Hi

Ive had a good look inside i can not see the BIOs Rev version number anywhere

Here a Photo of the MB serial number if that helps

The CPU version i am installing

My Power Supply

The only other item i have added to the PC is a Pioneer BDR Writer

Here how the desktop was when i was looking for BIOs Rev number

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 06:16:57 pm »
Hi again,

you are looking for the motherboard revision number. Check in the area I have circled:

It should be printed on the motherboard near the back edge. You may have to remove the card you have in the bottom slot to be able to see it.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 08:08:29 pm »
Many thanks for that, found it, It was hiding under the IEE1394 Card (ver 2.0)

So do i try again using using the link below

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2931#bios

which one should i go for  FDF or FC
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 10:14:28 pm by zack1986 »

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 06:49:23 am »
I would recommend using the FDF as it will run any of the 955 CPU's.

You might also like to check out this thread before you update the BIOS: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=2441.0 as it might address any problems you encounter.

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 04:45:47 pm »
Thanks I thinks its Done  :)

After Bios Flash

Then with Phenom installed

DXDIAG

While i'm here can i ask... The main role of my desktop is to capture/convert VHS-SD/HD/UHD footage to H.264 using Handbrake 

Raw VHS footage VCR>>Camcorder>>IEE1394>>Desktop

Canon M306 HD.MTS files and Samsung Note 3 UHD files

Burn onto BDR (25 GB) disks

Would the Phenom CPU be sufficient for the task i was thinking of upgrading 2 more key aspects if that helps with faster encoding

Upgrading to Win7 64bit
Upgrading Card to 750ti (128bit) or 760ti (256bit) as i have a 4830 (256bit)

thanks