Official GIGABYTE Forum

accidental damage - new laptop

asm1

accidental damage - new laptop
« on: March 21, 2015, 10:10:39 pm »
Hi

My brand new Gigabyte P34W V3-CF2 laptop met with an unfortunate accident when I was removing the lower case to fit an m-Sata SSD I had ordered for it.

All screws removed, but I couldnt separate the two pressed tangs at the front of the laptop, gentle rocking movements back to front separated everything nicely apart from at the front.  it would appear  the (very thin) plastic has sheared around these press clips .  Hence the bottom of my laptop has no  front corners! :o

All I wanted to do was fit the m-SSD, now I've ended up needing a new lower case section.

That being said once the cover came off the m-SSD went in no problem, and the machine is lovely and fast!

They'll probably say its my fault and I am liable for the lower case, but I would at least like to know if I can source the part!

Feel especially foolish as it is 3 days old  :-[
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 10:13:16 pm by asm1 »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: accidental damage - new laptop
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 07:06:24 pm »
Hi there,

sorry to read about the damage caused to your new laptop.

The best advice I can offer is that you contact Gigabyte Technical Support for the Country you live in via this link: http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/technical-support.aspx
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

asm1

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 11:04:57 am »
absic

Thanks,  fired off a support form to Gigabyte UK.

Your signature was VERY apt for me on saturday when this happened hehe.

asm1

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 09:43:52 am »
Just a quick update on this.

I received a reply from Gigabyte support to the effect that this would be an out of warranty repair, and they don't sell the part separately.  Both of which I kind of suspected.  They also scolded me for opening it up in the first place as upgrading storage is apparently not meant to be done by the user.  Pity as I would eventually want to replace the HDD with a SSD too, from the sales/product pages I have seen, I thought this was "doable".

I'm tempted to leave it for the moment, as I would like to get some use out of the machine and let my bank account recover from the purchase.   I have the details for the repair centre, for when the time comes.

As I say,  I got the response I was expecting.  But thought I would ask anyway.

Thanks for the help

Andrew