Official GIGABYTE Forum

A word of caution for all water cooling enthusiasts (water cooling horrors)

gilgamesh

• overclockerstech
I received a clients computer the other day, of which he was water cooling his machine. He was wondering why his CPU was reaching 92C with NO OVERCLOCK, this is the result i had found

He was using F***R fluid and this is the photographic evidence caused by THE said fluid

Lesson learned for my client? My careful of ANY pre-mixed fluids for water cooling

To keep this thread alive can anyone else share their water cooling horrors please?

gilgamesh
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 12:04:16 pm by gilgamesh »
www.overclockerstech.com , for the best in PC water cooling and hardware news

oggmonster

• I can see Russia from my house
Pardon my ignorance but what is F***R fluid?  ???

Whatever it is, it looks nasty!  :o
There's no place like ::1

gilgamesh

• overclockerstech
Pardon my ignorance but what is F***R fluid?  ???

Whatever it is, it looks nasty!  :o

Sorry my friend i starred it out as i didnt wish to offend gigabyte

Its Feser Fluid buddy

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
One of the reasons I've shied away from water cooling...........

that and I'm a coward where water and electricity are concerned!  :-\ (I've got the scars to prove it  :'())
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

gilgamesh

• overclockerstech
One of the reasons I've shied away from water cooling...........

that and I'm a coward where water and electricity are concerned!  :-\ (I've got the scars to prove it  :'())

Wise

To be honest, if you are careful and willing to make a few mistakes along the way, the end result is worth it!

BE careful of premix fluids, the only one i can recommend are Thermochill coolants (they do not gunge up your system)

Otherwise you distilled/deionised water witha bit of PT-nuke! This is the most effective solution. If you want a UV effect......USE UV tubing!

IN fifteen years of water cooling, I have only blown one motherboard and one VGA card but this was due to my own fault and not water cooling alone!

The secret of water cooling is this

Research research and research

Start with a basic kit and work from there

When you do a custom system, TAKE IT SLOW  there is no rush
check check and check again

DO NOT RELY on the natural O-RINGs on barbs ( the prupose of a O ring is to stop fluid from travelling up the threads of the barb) use the oring and PTFE (plumbers) tape on the barb threads!

Pure water is non conductive of an electric current, its the minerals contained that is conductive!
Use short simple lengths of tubing,

A wc system should be SIMPLE, the lonmger and more complicated you make it then fluid dynamics  101 comes into play,..the longer a fluid travels along a medium then the more heat it picks up due to friction!

Give it a try buddy

its worth the effort!

gilgamesh

gilgamesh

• overclockerstech
So does anyone have any water cooling horror stoires?

Melvin

IN fifteen years of water cooling, I have only blown one motherboard and one VGA card but this was due to my own fault and not water cooling alone!

Click This Link:
http://www.over-clock.co.uk/ivb/index.php?showtopic=17936&hl=

Gilgamesh the Sumerian!
Rating: 0
View Member Profile

post Jul 26 2006, 11:44 AM

Eyup folks

Just a quick hello to introduce myself.

I am a newbie to water cooling, and YES I did start with a kit first of all, just so I could learn without paying too much money. The kit I first had was Gigabytes own. Now I know more I have changed my case (from a thermatake kandalf) to Lian-Li v2000b plus and purchased the Dangerden ddc ultra pump and the alphacool plexitiop and dangerden reseviour.

I am getting there now, just saving up for the rest of the kit. This is in addition to ithe patience with myself from O-CuK by bombarding them with lots of questions.

Well by the time im finished im going to have a heck of a water cooling setup for a newbie like myself.

Thanks for O-CuK for their patience.

So 2006 and newbie? 15yrs experience at what exactly?

This bloke says it all:
Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 08:13:17 pm
http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,1499.0.html
I'm not going to bother going to your site, as you don't know what you're talking about. I vote against stickying this thread.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 10:59:31 pm by Melvin »

Have had a similar experience ) but not to that extent with the green Fesser Liquid. Won't ever use it again. Now it's just Halfords battery top up liquid and pt nuke

As for horror stories I've had a few. Mainly where I have thought that the fastenings were all nice and tight, to turn it on and find it dripping (thankfully I always test it with just the pump first rather than the whole system powered up and plenty of kitchen towel roll around the joints).

The worst one has to be when I was using the dreaded fesser green liquid. I decided on adding my graphics card to the loop. As this would generate extra heat, I bought a single rad to fit in the drive bay of my case. Bought a single ThermoChill PA120.1 rad. Attached the fan to the rad using the screws provided, piped it all up, filled the reservoir and turned on the pump.

As you might have guessed one of the screws that attached the fan to the radiator had punctured the rad and green liquid started streaming from it. Luckily the drive bay is at the bottom of the case so I didn't get green liquid over any components.

Unluckily I decided to change the build on the tiled floor of my bathroom. The white tiles were now green. After a quick drain down and replacement of the rad I mopped up. All looked nice and clean; the wife will never notice I thought. I re-made the loop, tested and all was good.

Left it overnight to bleed and then re-wired the rest of the system. Thought I'd give it one more test before moving the case to it's home in my office.  Did I get a shock when I turned in the PC. The UV lamps in the case turned on and my bathroom floor started to glow; of course my wife had to walk in as I turned it on. I eventually got the tiles clean, but for several months the grout would continue to glow if you shone a UV lamp in there. God knows what CSI would have thought had they had to test in there.

runn3R

• Admin
    • GIGABYTE UK
Hi gilgamesh & Chris_Waddle

Thanks for sharing these stories with everyone!
ZX-S & C64 are still my favourites ;-)

Badbonji

Oh dear that looks horrible... I use just distilled water with some additives to prevent fungus and stuff, although I seem to have some Algae growing in the reservoir currently... need to clean out my loop soon.
Core i7 965 @ 4.35Ghz 1.37Vcore
6Gb G.Skill 1600Mhz DDR3 @ 1740Mhz 8-8-8-20 1T
HIS HD5970 @ 800/1100
Gigabyte Extreme X58
X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty
256GB M4 + 150GB Raptor
EK Supreme HF/GTX480/MCP655/EK Res :D