Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-X58A-UD3R : Marvell SATA3 ports NOT working well !?

Re: GA-X58A-UD3R : Marvell SATA3 ports NOT working well !?
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2010, 09:08:16 pm »
Hi runn3R... please look into this MARVELL SATA3 problem... customers are waiting and would like to know the stance of Gigabyte.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 08:32:29 am by runn3R »
Intel Core i7 920 O/C @3.36GHz, Gigabyte X58A-UD3R (Rev. 1.0), G.Skill ECO Series F3-12800CL8D-4GBECO 2x2 GB, OCZ StealthXStream 600W, Titan Fenrir V2 CPU Cooler, Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB SATA3, XFX 8600GT 256MB, LG GH22NS50, Benq G222HDL

runn3R

• Admin
    • GIGABYTE UK
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2010, 04:57:29 pm »
Hi scjet

As I can see in this topic (http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,1617.0.html) you contacted our tech support through GGTS and received following reply:

My Questions:

Question 1./ The (Marvell)SATA3 ports in ANY Raid configuration do not work well at all ?!
I was only able to achieve approximately Write->200 MB/s, and Read->100 MB/s ???!!!!!
Intels' onboard ICH10R (sata2) beats Marvell's onboard 9128 SATA3 controller. And why is this !? This is very bad on Gigabytes part.
Question 2:/ The Marvell 9128 is the controller of the new SATA3 generation and it definitely have to surpass the speed of all controllers of the previous SATA2 generation.! Why has Marvell not updated their drivers in this regard ?.
Question 3:/ Did GIGABYtE tech support "speed test" a RAID0 disk array configured(via BIOS configurator)
and connected to the Marvell 9128 ports ? and if so, please post me your specific speed test results for Sata3 "Raid 0"?
Question 4:/ Did Gigabyte also "test" these Marvel 9128 Sata3 controller ports using a "Raid 0" with SSD (Solid-State-Drives) ?
------------------------------------------

Giga's Answer :  Dear Customer

Question 1 Our team is currently investigating the matter and are checking on this matter internally and with Marvell

Question 2 Our team is currently in contact with Marvell regarding this matter

Question 3 Find in attachment

Question 4 Find in attachment

please set it as AHCI mode which will have better performance then IDE mode

http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,1587.0.html

I haven't seen that you asked for speeding up the reply for Q1 and Q2 except for "I hope yourselves and Marvell can sort this all out" sent through GGTS to our FAE who supports Canada on beginning of April.
Anyway...

What is exact model number of your HDD's (WD100xxxxx)?

Please notice since that date new bioses and raid utilities appeared.
So my suggestion for you is to try as follows:

1) use built-in Microsoft driver
2) use latest Marvell RAID utility:
http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Driver/motherboard_driver_marvell_mru.exe
3) enable write caching and change write cache buffer flushing settings (this can be done under Device Manager -> Drive/RAID Properties -> Policies when using MS driver or under Marvel utility when using their driver)
4) use latest bioses:
F6j: http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/BIOS/mb_bios_ga-x58a-ud3r_f6j.exe
F6m: http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/12/20/2696817/x58aud3r.f6m.zip
5) use more than 1 benchmark for checking the performance

If above will not help then please contact our GGTS and ask to follow up your inquiry by providing newer drivers / firmware for Marvell (inside the MB's bios) or any other suggestions.

Please keep us informed, thanks.
ZX-S & C64 are still my favourites ;-)

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2010, 07:57:47 am »
Not sure if I have missed something but, looking on the net today I stumbled upon this article at tweaktown from February: http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/3122/gigabyte_sata_6g_update_raid_0_just_how_we_like_it/index.html which is testing a Firmware update for the Marvell chip.

I personally haven't come across a Firmware update from Gigabyte or Marvell so am wondering what, if anything, I've missed.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2010, 09:10:46 am »
Good point absic, I too have come up with something but let's see what answer you get from this first so as not to cloud the issue.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2015, 11:07:15 pm »
Hello, this is my first post on the forums.

I'm interested in finding out the rest of this "story", as I've recently run into problems with the Marvell SATA3 controller on this motherboard.

I've had my machine for almost five years now with the GA-X58A-UD3R and an Intel SSD on the Intel SATA2 controller. One year ago, I bought a larger Samsung 840 Pro SSD and connected it to the Marvell SATA3 controller in AHCI mode to get the most speed out of it (note, not RAID 0, just a single SSD in AHCI with the standard Windows drivers); as a primary Windows disk.

It worked fine for almost two years until I installed an old, unrelated HDD to the Intel SATA 2 controller to get some files. When I started Windows it started hanging repeatedly in periods of 30 seconds or more. I checked the Windows logs and noticed lots of disk timeout errors coming from the standard Windows atapi driver; I also checked back and noticed many such timeouts over the course of two years in the log. It just probably hasn't been as bad as it was now, me not noticing, but now it's unbearable. I am very careful when I open my computer, I even wear an EST wrist strap. I installed the Marvell drivers from Gigabyte's web site, and still same problem, only timeout messages coming from the mv91xx driver. I installed the newest SSD firmware and a new BIOS version, still same problem. Then I tried to re-install Windows. At the first restart the computer booted past the BIOS screens, but then nothing; only a cursor blinking. The installation never finished. I connected the SSD into the Intel SATA 2 controller, and now the installation finished, everything working nice, but when returning to the Marvell SATA 3 controller, it won't boot, not even if I install the Marvell drivers while on SATA 2, switch, and restart.

Then I removed the Samsung SSD and installed my old Intel SSD to the SATA 3 controller instead. It still had Windows installed on it, so it booted into that, and no problems, no timeouts, everything works. So I naturally assumed there was something wrong with the Samsung SSD and almost sent it in for replacement; until I had packed it down for the next day and wanted to re-install Windows on the Intel SSD on SATA 3. Now the same happens on this disk! At the first restart of the installation, the disk won't boot and is stuck on a blinking cursor.

SO! Sorry for the long post, but I guess I am looking for help on this. Now it seems the Marvell SATA 3 controller doesn't work at all. Are there any new drivers for the Marvell chipset past those posted on Gigabyte's web site? And is this the same problem as people have experienced when running RAID 0 on the controller?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 11:35:36 pm by LostOblivion »

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2015, 02:13:22 am »
I don't know if this could be the same problem you are having but look at this thread. http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=15885.0
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2015, 10:34:56 pm »
Maybe. I tried with only the SATA3 disk connected and tried starting a fresh install of Win 7 64-bit installed through SATA2 with the Marvell drivers. Now I get past the blinking cursor and into windows, but after a long time, and it finally shuts down or BSODs anyway.

I've pretty much decided the Marvell controller must be bricked on my system and installed a fresh Windows on the Intel SATA2. I can't send it in since it's over five years since I bought it, and the mobo has outlived its life expectancy, most likely, at least the Marvell chip.