Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-P55A-UD3 - What are standard, None OC, BIOS settings..please help.

Hey Everyone.

Here is the deal.  I have been trying for days now to get this box stable.  Memory is off the QVL.  Problem is that I get random BSOD and memtestx86+ always seems to fail around step 5 or 6.   I am not trying to overclock this box.  I would even have it run a bit slower as long as it was stable.

Per Gigabyte's direction, I manually entered the timings: 8-8-8-21 and the voltage of 1.5.  This did not fix the issue.  I then flashed to bios F6 and still no change.

I then did one stick at a time and there were NO errors on any of the sticks.  I think the error is the fact that when I am in dual channel mode with ALL slots full, there is a voltage drop at boot or at some point in the booting process.  Single channel has no issues.

I have four 2G sticks for a total of 8GB of ram.  This means all the memory slots are full.  Because each stick passes, gskill says no issue.  Because I have the settings in the box as I do, Gigabyte says it should work.  So i'm stuck in the circle apparently many have been in.

Aside from this, I was also upgrading the RAM in my Asus P5Q SE Plus (totally separate box)  with a quad core.  On this board the North Bridge is a MB component (socket 775) BUT I had the EXACT same issues as I do with the Gigabyte board.

The Asus forum directed me to update my voltage on the North Bridge from <Auto> to a hard 1.40V.  The box instantly came to life, passed all memory tests and has been stable since.  I went to apply the logic to the Gigabyte board only to find that there isn't a setting for the north bridge as its part of the CPU itself.

The latest test was enabling the XMS profile for memory.  I still got errors in memtest.  Does anyone know of settings that should be manually entered to get a stable box?  I saw a lot of talk about the QPI(vtt), blck, vcore, vdroop, line conditioning, and other settings but they all seem to be applied when you are trying to OC the board.  I just want it stable.

This is my first I7-860 build and it has basically fought me the whole way.  I am guessing that others on the forum are quite skilled and make take for granted that I would know the most basic settings.  Please, if giving the settings, be literal and assume I know nothing about it.  I want to be sure that every detail is covered.

Below is the hardware in question.

GA-P55A-UD3 bios ver. F6

Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor

TWO G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK
Speed DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
Cas Latency 8
Timing 8-8-8-21
Voltage 1.5V
ECC No
Buffered/Registered Unbuffered
Multi-channel Kit Dual Channel Kit

Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V version 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS
650W Continuous Power

HIS H467QS1GH Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Car

TWO Cavier Black HDD (SATA)

TWO DVD-RW (SATA)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 01:30:18 pm by smckech1972 »

Re: GA-P55A-UD3 - What are standard, None OC, BIOS settings..please help.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 06:19:45 pm »
UPDATE - Gigabyte Support recommended doing a bios reset, then ONLY change:

1.  "Performance Enhance" to [STNADARD]

2.  "Extremem Memory Profile (X.M.P.) [Profile1]

The rest of the settings are to be left as Default

I'll give it a shot, but we'll see.

Re: GA-P55A-UD3 - What are standard, None OC, BIOS settings..please help.
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 12:44:16 pm »

Did NOTHING to fix the problem.