Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-F2A55M-DS2 (3.0) Locked out from BIOS

GA-F2A55M-DS2 (3.0) Locked out from BIOS
« on: April 18, 2015, 03:28:30 am »
I currently have a problem with my motherboard and cannot use it.

When I purchased it last year, I setup an administrator password. Yesterday, I was about to tweak the settings in BIOS and find a hard time typing the password over and over. So I decided to temporarily remove the password until I finish tweaking the settings. After logging in BIOS, I go to the setting to change the administrator password and I was asked to type the current password. So I typed the current password and I was asked to enter new password. I hit enter and it asked if I want to clear the password. So I hit yes to clear the current password. Then I clicked save and exit. After reboot, I was asked the password again before I can go to BIOS. Weird because I have already cleared the password. So I typed my password again to login to BIOS and again, I cleared the password and saved and exited. Then again it asks for login password. But now, the password was not working anymore. I cannot go to BIOS nor boot to windows. I tried clearing the CMOS but it still asks for the password. It was frustrating because I know my password and I just want to temporary clear it and then reapply the security. But now, my actual password does not work anymore. I tried contacting Gygabyte support yesterday but can't get a reply yet. I hope someone here can help me out.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 03:29:03 am by cyberangel22k »

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: GA-F2A55M-DS2 (3.0) Locked out from BIOS
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 04:49:41 am »
Make sure the power plug is not plug in. Clear the cmos again and remove the battery too for about 2 or 3 mins.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 06:56:07 am »
Make sure the power plug is not plug in. Clear the cmos again and remove the battery too for about 2 or 3 mins.

The power cord is not plugged in. I first used the cmos jumper. didn't work. Then I removed the cmos battery for 15 mins, didn't work. Removed cmos battery overnight, didn't work. Still asks for password. It is very frustrating since I know my password before this happened. If I know that this will happen, I should have not cleared my password in the first place and endured typing the password every time I change something.

BTW, Every time I clear the CMOS, a splash screen of "GIGABYTE UEFI DUAL BIOS" is flashing before it asks for password. If I reboot (not clearing the CMOS) it goes straight to "INPUT PASSWORD".
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 07:04:17 am by cyberangel22k »

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 01:22:48 pm »
I don't know if this will work. You can and try to kick in the backup bios. Turn off the computer by the power switch on the PSU. Then hold in the power button and than turn the computer back by the PSU power switch.

Keep holding in the power button till the computer boots and than shuts down. Turn off the power switch again and wait about 1 min. Then turn back on and try it. 
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 03:50:05 am »
I don't know if this will work. You can and try to kick in the backup bios. Turn off the computer by the power switch on the PSU. Then hold in the power button and than turn the computer back by the PSU power switch.

Keep holding in the power button till the computer boots and than shuts down. Turn off the power switch again and wait about 1 min. Then turn back on and try it.

Thanks I will try this later after work and will report back. Actually, I brought it yesterday to the store where I bought it. They said that the password problem is out of warranty scope. They said that they "may" fix it by sending it to Gigabyte and charge me for the parts and service including the shipping to gigabyte. They said that when this problem occur, the only way to fix this is to replace the bios chips in the mobo which only the manufacturer can do. Which makes me think that it would be more cheaper and faster if I buy a new one instead. I'm not going to buy another for this simple but terrible problem. This mobo is 10 months old and it's not worth buying a new one.

Another method yesterday, I tried to enter q-flash so I can reflash the BIOS. Failed. I couldn't even see the splash screen that says "press END to enterQ-Flash utility" and other "press ..... to..."
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 03:54:54 am by cyberangel22k »

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 08:22:56 am »
Thank you. At last, now my system is again up and running.

I tried your suggestion and it kinda worked.

First attempt, nothing happens, still brings me to the login screen. So I googled ways how to prompt the backup BIOS and found some.

Here's what worked for mine:
1. Turn off machine.
2. Press and hold reset button.
3. Press power button while keeping reset button pressed for 10 secs then release.
4. Wait until the backup BIOS prompts and asks to install backup to main BIOS.
5. A window will pop-up stating that the main BIOS is corrupted and needs to reflash, I hit "install"
6. After installing the bios, it will ask to boot or reboot, then will ask to load default or optimized settings in the BIOS.
7. After that, I regained control over my system.

Thank you very much. You just saved me from buying a new MOBO. ;D ;D ;D