Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z97X-UD5H-BK: Incorrect drive free space display after installing 32GB of memory

Computer is showing incorrect free space for my ssd drives after I install 32GB of memory (4x8GB). I should have 42GB of free space on my 840 pro ssd but it's only showing 30GB free, if I restart the computer it will then show only 14GB, if I restart again it will go back to 30GB free space. I tested this with several different ssds all show incorrect free space on the disks if I have all 4 modules of memory installed. Tried different sata cables and sata power cables on different sata ports with both Intel and Marvell controllers, all with the same result. I even installed Windows 7 on a Crucial M4 ssd from scratch and it still shows incorrect free space as it shows I used over 120GB out of 256 which is impossible as nothing is installed besides the OS.

However if I only use two modules of memory it will show the correct amount of free space. Doesn't matter which two modules I use it will work fine until I have all 4 in installed. I somehow doubt this is an os problem because I encountered the same issue on my linux ssd.

Other then the incorrect display of free space, there are no other problems I have encountered, my system passed 90+ hours of memtest and 24 hours straight stress test on aida64 and prime95. It runs everything fine from gaming, encoding to normal day use.

Can someone help me please?

System (everything is running on stock):
Windows 7 Pro SP1, Linux Mint 17
Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK Rev 1.0 with F6 bios version
i7-4790K
Kingston HyperX Fury 4X8GB DDR3 1600
Kingwin LZP-650W
Samsung 840pro 256GB, Crucial M4 256GB, Liteon M6S 256GB
MSI GTX 970 4GB

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
I see that you have also posted this problem over at TweakTown.

Have you tried the F7g beta BIOS available on that site?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Check your page memory when ever you change memory windows will change your page memory. With any memory over 8gb you don't need page memory.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 06:05:40 am by dmdilks »
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

I see that you have also posted this problem over at TweakTown.

Have you tried the F7g beta BIOS available on that site?

I posted it a few other forums too in case no one responds.

I prefer not use beta bioses, they create more problems than they solve in my experience.  According to Gigabyte's notes it only adds "Support future NVMe SSD drive".  The memory I'm using is on the memory supported list for this motherboard.  I'll try that beta bios as a last resort.  This is my first GB motherboard, I used Asus in the past and I did encounter some bioses will not allow downgrading after flashing with certain versions.  I should be able to go back to F6 if this doesn't solve my issue right?

Check your page memory when ever you change memory windows will change your page memory. With any memory over 8gb you don't need page memory.

I don't think a page file would take up half of my 256GB capacity on a ssd with a fresh install of Windows 7 and I have the same problem using Linux Mint Live CD which doesn't create a pagefile on my ssd as it's not mounted by default.

dmdilks

OK when you re-install windows did you delete all the partition?
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

OK when you re-install windows did you delete all the partition?

Drive was zeroed before installation.

dmdilks

Have you look at the page memory? Windows will set aside 48gb of disk space when you have all that memory installed. That 1&1/2 times the memory installed. Again you don't need and page memory if you are using 8gb or higher on memory.

Have you look at the page memory? Windows will set aside 48gb of disk space when you have all that memory installed. That 1&1/2 times the memory installed. Again you don't need and page memory if you are using 8gb or higher on memory.

I don't think this is a Windows specific issue as I encountered this problem through a Linux Mint Live CD which does not create any pagefile on my ssd as it's not mounted by default.  After mounting the ssd it still reports incorrect free space on it.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
I wouldn't worry about testing the beta BIOS as they are usually pretty solid. Although not on the same board as yourself (I have the Z97X-UD5H) I have been running a beta BIOS for several months without a problem. And my old Z87 plate still runs quite happily on beta BIOS that has actually never been updated to a final version by Gigabyte.

Also, on these motherboards you can switch between the two BIOS chips manually if you want to test different BIOS versions, which can be a great help in trying to resolve issues. It is also worth noting that, using QFlash you can easily go back to an earlier BIOS version if you wish to do so. Once again, this can be a great way of discovering if an issue has been there from the beginning or, if it has been introduced in the updated version(s). That said, you should bear in mind NOT to flash back to an earlier BIOS if you are running a CPU that needs a specific version to operate correctly, for example, don't flash back to F4 if your CPU needs actually needs F5.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Finally have time post an update, I reset the CMOS and it fixed the issue with the fluctuating free space.  As for the pagefile, if none of my older programs require it I will take your advice dmdilks and completely remove it.

dmdilks

With page file memory that is old memory boost on older computers that only support little memory. Today where we have memory at 8gb, 16gb, 32gb, & 64gb. We don't need that type of memory any more you will really never run out of memory.

Plus any thing over 8gb is really a waste of time. I was having a BSOD problem and had 16gb memory installed. I change it to 8gb of a different brand never seen a difference. I feel any thing over 8gb is more bragging rights than any thing.

I hear all the time I need 32gb or 64gb of memory because I'm doing graphics editing, picture editing & auto-cad. Again any thing between 8gb & 16gb is really all you need. 

With page file memory that is old memory boost on older computers that only support little memory. Today where we have memory at 8gb, 16gb, 32gb, & 64gb. We don't need that type of memory any more you will really never run out of memory.

Plus any thing over 8gb is really a waste of time. I was having a BSOD problem and had 16gb memory installed. I change it to 8gb of a different brand never seen a difference. I feel any thing over 8gb is more bragging rights than any thing.

I hear all the time I need 32gb or 64gb of memory because I'm doing graphics editing, picture editing & auto-cad. Again any thing between 8gb & 16gb is really all you need.

I would actually need more than 32GB of ram if I were to run more than one virtual machine on this computer.  Currently running Junos Space Network Management Platform and it needs a minimum of 16GB, 32GB is the recommended amount.  I would need a X99 system since Z97 is limited to a maximum of 32GB.

dmdilks

@ShortBaldFatGuy

Yes there some programs that could need a lot of memory, but the avg computer only really needs at the most 16gb. Plus you here in the USA?

@ShortBaldFatGuy

Yes there some programs that could need a lot of memory, but the avg computer only really needs at the most 16gb. Plus you here in the USA?

Aside from this unit, the rest of my computers have only 8GB.  No, I'm not from the USA.