Official GIGABYTE Forum

Connections on Motherboard and Bios

Connections on Motherboard and Bios
« on: March 24, 2010, 07:39:04 pm »
I have a new build,and need to set up a game plan.I used N-light to merge the sata drivers and my copy of XP Pro on a disc.It recogconizes the drive after I have windows up and running,but the bios is listing it as a master on the sata connection.

My board is a MA790GPT-UD3H

This board was 2 different banks of sata connections.On one bank is 0 and 1,and then the other bank is sata connections 2-6.I have (1) HDD connected to the 0 sata connection.After Windows XP Pro is up and running I went into the bios,and checked settings.Nothing is listed for the HDD connected on the 0 sata connector,but it's listed as the master on sata 3 connection on the other bank.Is this because Gigabtye uses the 0 and 1 sata connections for IDE in some respect.The sata drive I have on sata 0 connection is listed in the bios being connected to the sata connection 3,as the master drive.I thought sata drives don't use master and slaves.Shouldn't the bios just detect one drive on one connection,and more importantly, connected to the "o" sata port like it is hardwired on the motherboard.

1.What should be my settings in the bios before installing windows,maybe that is where part of the problem starts...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 07:40:21 pm by toostrike »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Connections on Motherboard and Bios
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 08:10:14 pm »
Hi Toostrike,

If you are not using any IDE HDD's or DVD/CD drives you can safely disable the on-board IDE Controller in BIOS.

You are correct that SATA drives are not recognised as Master/slave in the conventional sense however on Gigabyte boards you will find that is how they are referred to. It is normal and nothing to worry about.

Hope this helps
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.