Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-X99-GAMING-5 RAID 0 problem

GA-X99-GAMING-5 RAID 0 problem
« on: May 01, 2015, 01:46:26 am »
Hey. I stupidly put my entire music collection (around 450 GB) on a 4TB RAID 0.
It was my first RAID sort of and I was just excited. I had a lot of trouble making it work.
At this point I was setting up a different RAID with the OS across two SSDs. Once I got that set up through the BIOS, I set up the one the music was on. There were problems with that too but it worked, for a day. Then the computer started restarting a lot, then it started restarting constantly, in an endless loop. Then it went off and didn't come back on.

My hands don't work so well anymore so I got the computer from IBUYPOWER. I sent it back and that cost me 70 bucks. They said that the power supply and the motherboard were both defective, replaced both and sent it back. I thought it was all a bit suspicious, but here we are. I got it back yesterday and powered it on today. They reinstalled Windows 7 Pro and evidently set up the RAID on the OS SSDs again. I entered the requisite computername and time info and checked My Computer. C: is the only thing showing up. There are five drives in it right now and 'C' is composed of two. The next two were the RAID on which were my music. The last hadn't been plugged in yet.

So, the question is: Am I out of luck or is there any way to restore a RAID?
I don't know any way to do it that doesn't require formatting which would of course erase the music.
Did they ruin my twenty year collection of music?

I guess I did by putting it on a RAID 0 instead of 1. It was going on a dedicated drive next, already had it ready to go. I was just a little late. I ask them to save it if at all possible but the communication was horrible and I'm certain they didn't try and when he heard 'keep the RAID' all he cared about was the OS.

Please tell me there's something I can do with these two discs to get my music back.

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: GA-X99-GAMING-5 RAID 0 problem
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 02:37:55 am »
Yes you can get a program called restorer 2000 that can recover almost anything.

http://www.restorer-ultimate.com/
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

Re: GA-X99-GAMING-5 RAID 0 problem
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 07:46:25 am »
Yes you can get a program called restorer 2000 that can recover almost anything.

No way with what I've got?

How would this work? The discs were in a RAID when the computer wouldn't start. They replaced the ps and mb and sent the computer back with the discs plugged in. So, they are still in a RAID, just nothing knows it, right? It seems like there would be a way to just say hey, here's the stripe size, read these discs.
Either way, the computer isn't recognizing them right now. Windows isn't, I should say, I haven't checked the BIOS yet. I'm going to sound even more nooby here, but will/can/should/do I just switch it from RAID to IDE or AHCI to get Windows to see them so that program will? I don't know how or where to start.

The manual says only Windows 8/8.1 supports UEFI RAID configuration. I have no idea what that is but the steps after it are the way I created the RAID, with the Rapid Storage Technology. I had to install that though. Maybe if I install it now, on the returned fixed computer, it might recognize the RAID? I ask because the discs weren't corrupted, the motherboard was and I don't understand why, or if, there isn't a way to re-point to them. In my mind it's like the drives are cities on a highway and there are signs for them. We can go to C:\town but not to D:\town, it's still there, the sign just fell down and that's the only thing keeping me from going. This may be far from what it's actually like.

Thanks for any help. This collection is very important to me.