Official GIGABYTE Forum

Messed up the CPU cooler

Messed up the CPU cooler
« on: May 08, 2015, 01:11:40 pm »
Hi Giga-Byte,

since I don't own a can of compressed air, I searched the internet for a way to clean my CPU Fan. A 'genius' showed how he removed the cooler an brushed it off with a small brush. So the fool I am, I tried the same. After brushing it off I tried to reattach the Cooler to the motherboard. Ofcourse the pins didn't came together the way they always were... But eventually it was back in its original place.

So in conclusion: the system only comes past the Windows Boot animation when the PC is on his side...

I learned something today..

But: Will the problem be solved when I clean my CPU and buy a new cooler with new thermal paste?

Greetings,

Bob van Dalen

Re: Messed up the CPU cooler
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 06:30:40 pm »
So what exactly is your issue?

When removing the CPU cooler, there are no pins involved....those pins are with the cpu socket and cpu. If you pulled the cpu out (which is a big no no) you may have a bent pin or some thermal compound on the socket or pins.

When pulling the CPU cooler off....did your clean off the existing thermal compound (thoroughly) and reapply some new thermal compound? 

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 06:57:35 pm »

When removing the CPU cooler, there are no pins involved....those pins are with the cpu socket and cpu. If you pulled the cpu out (which is a big no no) you may have a bent pin or some thermal compound on the socket or pins.

When pulling the CPU cooler off....did your clean off the existing thermal compound (thoroughly) and reapply some new thermal compound?

Well that is why I was so stupid, I just put it back on without replacing or cleaning the thermal compound. But the 4 sticks on the corners of the cooler won't attach properly on the mobo anymore. But some hours later now, the PC boots (slower, but it boots) even when it's just standing, not only on his side. So maybe I didn't mess the whole thing up. But still: It was quite nerve-racking..

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 03:22:06 am »

Well that is why I was so stupid, I just put it back on without replacing or cleaning the thermal compound. But the 4 sticks on the corners of the cooler won't attach properly on the mobo anymore. But some hours later now, the PC boots (slower, but it boots) even when it's just standing, not only on his side. So maybe I didn't mess the whole thing up. But still: It was quite nerve-racking..

You need a new cpu cooler if the mounting bracket isn't fitting correctly. If not you can/will do damage to the cpu because of the over heating it's causing.