Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z97X-UD5H error code 04

nun667

Z97X-UD5H error code 04
« on: May 18, 2015, 05:14:36 am »
Hi guys. Im getting 04 error code first time booting this thing out of the box. the system runs fine. but I looked in my manual and there is no corresponding code to 04 at all. so is that normal? or is it a secret code haha ?

Re: Z97X-UD5H error code 04
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 11:58:26 am »
Hi guys. Im getting 04 error code first time booting this thing out of the box. the system runs fine. but I looked in my manual and there is no corresponding code to 04 at all. so is that normal? or is it a secret code haha ?

A buddy of mine is having the same issue....this is what he found out.

it relates to a power mode setting like sleep. Although the setting in question is fast start up which is a windows 8 thing that is in the power config via control panel. Basically if you have fast start up enabled. The when you turn the machine off fully for a brief period windows creates a folder which saves your settings. When you boot up again it uses this folder to boot from and hence 04. If you turn the fast start up off and then turn the machine off 04 won't appear on the next reboot. It's simply telling you what power stage the pc has booted from.

So bottom line is turn off fast start in windows and then check debug code LCD.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 11:59:38 am by bassfisher6522 »

kemical

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 12:29:04 pm »
Hi,
I do see 04 (I'm the guy mentioned above) but only in certain situations. If your booting up from a cold  then you shouldn't really see 04 although it isn't actually an error code.
In my case 04 relates to a power state. Windows 8 has a function called 'Fast Start up'. This creates a folder which saves all your settings on shutdown. If you boot back up again relatively quickly then Windows uses this folder to boot faster and the 04 code will then appear. This is much like resuming from sleep where the code 03 will be seen.
Turning off Fast start up via the control panel and power options will see the system boot up from stand still with no 04 code and it will boot straight to A0 as per normal function.
In your case booting from cold you should see A0 or whatever stands for normal operation with your board although your motherboard may differ from mine (GA-Z97X-Gaming 7).

If your system is running without issue i wouldn't worry about it. If it does bother you though you could try reseating your components like gpu, ram and HDD.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 12:51:48 pm by kemical »

kemical

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 03:07:18 am »
I'd actually got the above the wrong way around. Booting from cold will get you the 04 debug code as that's when the fast start up folder is used. If you reboot it's not used so hence the default to A0.