Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-MA790XT-ud4p windows 7 hangs on shutdown

GA-MA790XT-ud4p windows 7 hangs on shutdown
« on: March 25, 2010, 05:32:16 pm »
Hi Everyone, Although I haven't yet found the solution I thought I would share this incase anyone else is having similar problems.
I have been unable to get windows 7 to shut down, it always hung at the screen "windows is shutting down" I would have to press the power off button to switch the system off. Similarly the reset also hung.
After much searching I noticed that every post of windows hanging appeared to have something to do with a driver or hardware. My computer is fitted with three hard drives and after disconnecting each one in turn I found the one that was causing me the problem.
With it disconnected I had clean shutdowns and restarts. I reconnected it and windows 7 reported that it was searching for drivers for it.
Being exactly the same as the other two I expected windows to find the driver. It couldn't, or so it said. The hard disk is shown just as a disk in the device manager and not like the other two that are listed with their model numbers. The hard drive is reported correctly in the bios.
Looking at the properties box for the suspect hard drive it says that the driver is not installed. However on the drivers tab it lists exactly the same drivers as the other two and that it is working correctly.
I can read from the drive and I can also write to it. But I can't format it nor carry out any windows maintenance on it (check disk etc).
I used segates disk checker and it is reported correctly in that software and passes the basic tests.
I have tried safe mode in windows and cmd prompt with similar results.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: GA-MA790XT-ud4p windows 7 hangs on shutdown
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 06:24:52 pm »
Hi,

This is an interesting situation and I was wondering if it is Windows7 64 bit or 32 bit?

I've noticed similar glitches in the Windows 7 64 bit OS but dismissed them, as I do a lot of beta testing and just thought it was due to that.

I also find, because of the testing, that when I reinstall the OS (Which I do with regular monotony) I can't always recreate the problems, hence making me think of driver issues. Could it be something fundamental within Windows 7?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 06:50:47 pm »
Sorry forgot to mention that its windows 7 64bit. I thought it might be a windows thing seeing that the bios recognises the disk model number, and the fact I have a problem with writing to a floppy disk as well. I have tried the suspect drive on the amd and gigabyte sata connectors but get the same result. Iam running the drives in native ata mode as I can't seem to get sata to work which is more than likely me than anything else.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 07:18:04 pm »
Have you put the dodgy drive on a different SATA channel(s)? (I am assuming it's a SATA drive)

I would do this just to check that there isn't an issue with the Mobo although it is being recognised in BIOS and try to confirm it's an OS problem rather than hardware.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 05:07:32 pm »
Yes I have tried the suspect in other sockets including the gigabyte ones with the same result.

Today I removed the two good drives and successfully installed XP (32bit) (using format first) onto the suspect drive. The drive was itdentified correctly in Device manager by manufacturers name and model, so don't think theres much wrong with the drive or the mother board.
I then fitted the two other drives and booted into Windows 7. There were no error messages about drivers but the device manager still lists it as a Disk Drive. However I can now carry out all microsofts maintenance tools on the drive including Format so must have been a cliche on the drive/Windows. The computer shuts down satisfactory as well.

However I have just realised that I haven't tried shutting down since formating the drive. So just hope it still works

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 07:25:49 am »
Har drive still works.... Phew

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 07:34:32 am »
Good!

I had a look for Firmware updates for your HDD's (from the info you sent in the PM) but couldn't find any, so I'm pleased it now seems to be OK.