Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte GTX970 G1 Gaming: Fans at 100% when idle

Gigabyte GTX970 G1 Gaming: Fans at 100% when idle
« on: June 21, 2015, 06:22:03 pm »
Hello.
Long story short: about two months ago I build my new PC and everything was working great, but then - about a month ago something happened to my GPU...
Now everytime, as soon as my PC boots, fans go to 100% and stay like that. (even at IDLE)

So first of all, these are the specs:

CPU: i5-4690k 4,5Ghz OC
CPU-C: SilentiumPC Grandis
MOBO: Gigabyte Z97x Gaming 5
GPU: Gigabyte GTX970 G1 Gaming
PSU: BeQuiet! Pure Power L8-600W
SSD: Samsung 120GB SSD850
HDD: WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB
and all of it packed in Zalman Z3 Plus.

Okay, so I have tried everything:

1. First, I thought it might me driver-related problem (I know that a lot of MSI GTX970 had some fan issues because of the drivers), but that wasn't it. Reinstalled the drivers couple of times, with "clean installation" and without it, none of this worked.

2. Then I thought that it's SpeedFan's fault, program in which you can change your fan speed profiles (I didn't even use it, it was just installed, that's all). Uninstalled it, didn't work.

3. Then I've read something about "fan cables not being correctly connected" (Asus GTX970 Strix problems). So I've taken out my card out of the PCI-E slot. I've only looked at the cable connections (didn't want to touch them or something to validate my warranty) and everything seemed okay... Besides, if it was working earlier that couldn't be "fan power cables not correctly connected" issue. I think this is dead end, cables couldn't just "jump out" of their connections.

4. I've ended up reinstalling my whole OS and that didn't fix the problem either.

What's even more weird - when I launch a game, let's say Witcher 3 and FPS are locked by V-Sync, GPU fans go to it's natural fan speed profile. So basically when I'm in the area where I get 60 FPS and card isn't 100% utilized, fans are spinning at about 2000-2500 RPM. But then, when I turn off any game, fans are going back to 100%.

Then, I've found out that both, MSI Afterburner and Gigabyte OC Guru show 0 RPM on tachometr.
Wait, what? 0 RPM?! Something is really wrong with my fans right now...

I hope I've explained my problem pretty clearly and some of you may actually be able to help me. I think that my card doesn't have a flaw or a manufacturing defect (not sure how to call it) because this whole fan problem occured after using my GPU for a whole month.

Maybe I have to update my GPU BIOS? If so, is it possible to do it by nvflash?
Maybe Windows Aero (desktop) should be using my integrated GPU (HD Graphics 4600) and only use GTX970 for more demanding programs? Maybe something is messed up with Nvidia Optimus?
Maybe Gigabyte GTX970 G1 Gaming fan speed profile is temp-related? It will keep on spinning until it reaches desired temp? But in IDLE it goes to 22-26 Celcius...

I have no idea what to do, hopefully I can find my answer here.
Thanks in advance and sorry for my English.

Re: Gigabyte GTX970 G1 Gaming: Fans at 100% when idle
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 10:42:00 am »
So... I can see you guys have tons of ideas, but nevermind.
I have taken out my card out of PCI-E slot, dismounted the panel with fans and reconnected fan power supply cables.
Anddddddd it worked.

So to anyone having fan issues, the fan power supply pins might be not properly connected.

Problem solved (by myself...).