Official GIGABYTE Forum

H81M-H Downgrade BIOS - Problem after upgrade BIOS

H81M-H Downgrade BIOS - Problem after upgrade BIOS
« on: July 21, 2015, 01:54:34 pm »
Hi. Recently connected to my motherboard A SATA II SSD 120Gb (Memory One Interlagos GT series 2.5'' Solid State Drives SATA II, MLC Flash Memory) www.memoryone.net but the SSD sometimes is recognized, sometimes not. So after search on internet i found that upgrade my bios could resolve my problem. The previous version of the bios was F4, so i updated to F8, and the problem persists. When i updated the bios, the computer, intermittently do not boots. I received black screens and sometimes, the pc turn on and turn off after 5 seconds. Even if i dont use the SSD, the pc sometimes dont boot or reboots after and after. I try to change the memories, using a Kingston 1333 module 4GB and appears to work correctly. I tried with F7 and F8 bios and the problem persists. The question is, how i can downgrade the bios to previous F4 version? unfortunately i dont save the previos version (F4) of the bios. Is there anything i can do to fix this problem with my memories? Downgrade the bios? I tried with QFlash and the system says that F4 bios is not compatible.

My memory module is: Kingston Hyperx Black 1600mhz

Thanks

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
Re: H81M-H Downgrade BIOS - Problem after upgrade BIOS
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 03:21:15 pm »
First, what Rev is your board?  I didn't see an F4 BIOS for any of the revs on gigabytes site.  1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 2.1.  I'm not saying it didn't exist, but its not there now.  You may need to look at the Gigabyte site in another country, or on a modding forum to find an older BIOS.  Also, it is sometimes not possible to downgrade after you update to a certain BIOS version.   

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4737#bios

Memory One - Florida based, partnership with Patriot Memory in Fremont, CA.  Sorry to say but Patriot doesn't have the greatest reputation for compatibility or reliability.  You may want to stick with something more mainstream.  Samsung, Corsair, Intel.  Just my opinion, you are entitiled to yours.   ;D
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 03:24:54 pm by shadowsports »
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 04:05:18 pm »
First, what Rev is your board?  I didn't see an F4 BIOS for any of the revs on gigabytes site.  1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 2.1.  I'm not saying it didn't exist, but its not there now.  You may need to look at the Gigabyte site in another country, or on a modding forum to find an older BIOS.  Also, it is sometimes not possible to downgrade after you update to a certain BIOS version.   

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4737#bios

Memory One - Florida based, partnership with Patriot Memory in Fremont, CA.  Sorry to say but Patriot doesn't have the greatest reputation for compatibility or reliability.  You may want to stick with something more mainstream.  Samsung, Corsair, Intel.  Just my opinion, you are entitiled to yours.   ;D

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I forgot to mention the revision. Is 1.0

The F4 Bios version came with the motherboard. I tried to look in Gigabyte's site but not found this version.

If i try to upgrade to F8 and downgrade to F7, the process is possible, but if i try to downgrade to F4, it's not possible.

I found the F4 version on pcdrivers.guru (http://pt.pcdrivers.guru/gigabyte-ga-h81m-h/download-644907.html). In this site i found the F5 version but not try to downgrade from F7 > F5 yet. Do you know if exists some restrictions or minimum versions to downgrade? Is this a default behavior for gigabyte boards?

About the SSD, really is not a good choice, but is what i have at the moment and if not works, i can use a normal HD. But the main problem now is the memory incompatibility that F7 or F8 bios is causing.

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 06:43:15 pm »
I have seen a few posts recently with users having some issues with Kingston memory.  Its not bad memory, I've used it previously in several laptops and QA machines.  Bottom line, however...  you should always try to use memory that is on the QVL for your board in order to help avoid problems.  One of this forum's senior members (dmdilks) also recommends settings your memory parameters manually when  you have detection, compatibility or performance related problems.  Something for you to consider.

Regarding BIOS downgrade or inability to do so once you flash up to a certain version.  This is common for all MB manufacturers and is not specific to Gigabyte.  When certain code is upgraded its not always possible to downgrade as it can introduce other problems.  This is also true of RAID Configuration Utilities when they are part of a BIOS image.  These may require a minimum driver version and are not always backwards compatible. 

Frequent system restarts can be attributed to any of the following: (no particular order)

Overheating
Over clocking
memory or other hardware incompatibility
Bent pins in the CPU socket
Faulty PSU
"Dirty" power
Grounding issue in case
Bad / poorly written / compiled BIOS
Remnants from failed Easy Tune OC

You should consider each and try to rule out any as a possible cause.  If F8 is known to be problematic, stay with F7 (if downgrade is possible).  You may want to try manual memory settings as a starting point.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 08:03:25 pm by shadowsports »
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW