Official GIGABYTE Forum

DualBIOS demo in "Matrix" movie style

Gloup_Gloup

• Let us sweet between members, on the forum.
Re: DualBIOS demo in "Matrix" movie style
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2011, 03:21:52 pm »
Hi Runn3R,

Because a initial link for dualbios is not good, I search by google a new good link.

I find here : http://www.gigabyte.com/microsite/55/tech_081226_dualbios.htm

For members of forum, I add this infos about QuadBIOS

Quad BIOS is a unique GIGABYTE feature that includes DualBIOS™ andXpress BIOS Rescue Technology.
This combination delivers a safety assurance mechanism that sports a total of 4 copies of BIOS distributed between the Flash ROM, hard-disk and driver CD.
This feature helps to reduce the affects of virus attacks or firmware damage and provides multi-layer BIOS protection that assures greater PC platform stability.

For recall, I add your first intervention in details:

Hi Dan

the story is as follows:

There is something more than just a second bios chip. There is a copy of bios contents stored in the HDD connected to the MB, this function is called Express BIOS Rescue or just Virtual Dual BIOS.
On every boot up of the MB, it checks the hard disk if there is any bios image inside it.
If there is no bios image into the hard disk, the current main bios version will be saved into hard disk (inside the special hidden area, not available to standard OS).
That means the hard disk has the same bios version like the main bios.
If the main bios is damaged, the bios contents will auto rescue from hard disk.
If there is no hard disk, then it will recover from backup bios.
If you upgrade the hardware main bios chip, then at next boot the copy of bios in HDD is also updated automatically.

In the situation you describe nothing wrong will happen, just bios will be recovered from HDD and system will work.

Hope this is clear explanation :)

===
Update:
To have a copy of BIOS on your HDD you need to enable the following option in the BIOS:
"Backup BIOS Image to HDD", which can be found under Advanced BIOS Features

Thank for this interesting topic.

Gloup_Gloup
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 03:49:37 pm by Gloup_Gloup »

runn3R

• Admin
    • GIGABYTE UK
Re: DualBIOS demo in "Matrix" movie style
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2011, 03:56:03 pm »
Link has been just corrected, thanks
ZX-S & C64 are still my favourites ;-)