Official GIGABYTE Forum

X99 SOC Champion Motherboard Rev 1.0 - Memory controller issues TWICE

I need some advice from the Gigabyte community concerning the X99 SOC Champion Motherboard Rev. 1.0. 

We are building a new live web streaming workstation based around this motherboard - but I had to replace one motherboard because 3 of the 4 DIMM slots were bad (I have DDR4 2400 Memory from Corsair) and now on this 2nd motherboard I received - all 4 DIMM slots worked for about 10 hours and then one slot failed - causing the computer not to boot up (giving me 50, 72 & 73 post errors) until I took it in for someone to determine what the problem was (memory controller failure again).  The computer is currently running at 24GB of memory (instead of 32).  I am not sure if I should replace this board again (and take a chance with a 3rd mother board), send it in to get warranty repair (causing me to be down a workstation for 2 or more weeks) or just get another board all together (either another Gigabyte motherboard or even a different vendor?!).  I would just keep what I have and run with 24GB of memory but if the controller failed in one slot, it could happen out of no where on another slot. Hmmmm...

Imagine a memory failure during a live web streaming event - that would be catastrophic - not sure what I should do here.  What do you all recommend??  Is there a memory controller issue with this motherboard, have people heard of this problem before with this motherboard - same issue with two boards in a row from the vendor where I bought it (TigerDirect) - very weird.

thanks everyone!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 03:50:48 pm by CCE Sports Network »

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: X99 SOC Champion Motherboard Rev 1.0 - Memory controller issues TWICE
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 07:23:38 pm »
Your memory control is in the CPU. Are you using the same CPU or different one? Plus one other thing what Bios version you running? 
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 10:24:00 pm »
Same CPU - Intel i7-5930K and running current bios F3.  This is a brand new build with all new parts except the OS drive which is a SSD drive and one internal drive (the other three internal drives are brand new).

Thanks for the reply!!

Your memory control is in the CPU. Are you using the same CPU or different one? Plus one other thing what Bios version you running?

dmdilks

X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 11:27:56 pm »
Isn't that still in beta?  I am not sure I want to run a beta bios on a primary work computer unless it was designed to address this issue or related issues?

They have a newer Bios out F4i - http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5280#bios

dmdilks

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 11:55:28 pm »
You are having a problem with memory. The two are addressing the problem with memory. Tweaktown is already up to GA-X99-SOC Champion - F4j.

Or you can call support and ask them what you should do. More likely they are going to send you a bios or tell you to try the beta bios.

One other thing is on the CPU where you are using the same one. The memory or slot that fail. Is all the memory still working no matter which one you use?

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 01:14:04 am »
Understood - I did not know they were addressing the memory issue (I was just going by the Gigabyte website that still had F4i as listed as beta).  I will give it a try.  Incidentally, 30 minutes after I replied to your comment - got the blue screen of death and no ability to reboot without post error (I was doing some editing work in Adobe Premiere).  I pulled the memory from slot 4 (slot 3 is already empty) and was able to reboot the computer.

To answer your other question, yes, no matter what memory I use - I get the same problem.  All of the memory is working & confirmed working.  I even went and bought some brand new sticks to make sure I did not have bad ones and had the same problem.  Gigabyte's solution was to send the board in for repair - but I paid for a brand new board and did not want a "repaired" one 3 days after I received a new one so I opted to have it replaced with a brand new board and ran into the same issue.

So I will try the new bios and see?  Could the CPU be an issue (I don't know enough here to know if this would cause an issue or not) but other than replacing the motherboard, going with another motherboard vendor or replacing the CPU - I am not sure what other solutions I can try - that's why I reached out to you guys to see if there was something I was failing to see or do.

Thanks again for your feedback, I appreciate it.

You are having a problem with memory. The two are addressing the problem with memory. Tweaktown is already up to GA-X99-SOC Champion - F4j.

Or you can call support and ask them what you should do. More likely they are going to send you a bios or tell you to try the beta bios.

One other thing is on the CPU where you are using the same one. The memory or slot that fail. Is all the memory still working no matter which one you use?

dmdilks

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 03:13:33 am »
I did send you a pm too. Plus the board that you send in about 95% of the time you will get back. I have RMA about 4 or 5 boards to them and two of them with the same problem you are having with memory slots X79 boards. I got back every board. The only time you get a different board is if they can't fix it.

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 04:19:19 am »
Got it.  Thanks.  I will shoot you a message.  The new bios update did not work - now I get post 61 error (NVRAM initialization) when I put back in the other two sticks.  Oh well, RMA it is....

I did send you a pm too. Plus the board that you send in about 95% of the time you will get back. I have RMA about 4 or 5 boards to them and two of them with the same problem you are having with memory slots X79 boards. I got back every board. The only time you get a different board is if they can't fix it.