Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z97x Gaming 7 slow to post code 64

Dalork

Re: Z97x Gaming 7 slow to post code 64
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2015, 12:21:47 am »
It's not CPU related, I tried stacks of different models. I wonder if it's to do with this MB and Corsair PSU's some how

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2015, 07:10:11 am »
It's not CPU related, I tried stacks of different models. I wonder if it's to do with this MB and Corsair PSU's some how

That's the only thing I can think of now, aside from yet another faulty board. The majority of other people that had this issue RMA'd their boards and that fixed it, so it's got to be the power supply somehow.  Micro Center's probably tired of seeing me by now, so i'll see if I can't use a buddy's employee discount at Fry's to grab another PSU sometime this week, and return it if the issue persists.

Dalork

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2015, 07:15:24 am »
What make of PSU are you currently using?

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2015, 07:44:46 am »
What make of PSU are you currently using?

It's a Corsair CX750M, matches the description. I've noticed that on occasion, my K70 RGB and/or my M95 mouse stay illuminated even while the computer is fully shut down, wonder if it's related, as I didn't see any BIOS settings related to USB power while off.

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2015, 07:39:32 pm »
So after almost a week without encountering the code, I got it again this morning. What's odd is that this time, it sat on code 64 for about 30-40 seconds, then it cleared POST and gave the all-clear beep, but then it hung on the Gigabyte splash screen for another 30 seconds, and after that, the good old flashing cursor stayed in the top-left corner until I restarted it manually. After restarting it, of course, it powered on and fully booted in under 20 seconds.

Haven't gotten a new power supply to test it with yet, probably will go with a cheap Thermaltake one to determine if it's the PSU causing this issue or not, and if it is, i'll invest in a higher-end PSU.

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2015, 04:34:18 am »
Got windows 8.1 on a crucial M500 SSD, i5 4690k on a Gigabyte z97x gaming 7 MB with 16GB (4x4), has got slow to boot for some reason. During post check the computer seems to sit on code 64 for a while before booting windows, it's getting longer and once or twice seemed as though it may have hung at this point.

Running BIOS F6, any ideas? I see there are many more beta BIOS versions, does anyone know if they might be to help with a issue such as this? GB's website lists the current official BIOS still as F6. Have not overclocked it and windows boots fine and system doesn't seem to fail memory or CPU stress tests etc.
I used the Old Case to Rebuild a customers PC, The new Motherboard is a Z97X Gamming 7, I plugged in his old camera SD card Reader into the motherboard because it was part of the case. System would hang on code 64 and take 2 minutes or longer before I would get the Gigabyte screen then boot to windows, once I unplugged the old card reader it would boot fast, so here is what I found out, if you have an old front side usb 1.1 or 2.0 and it is plugged into the 3.0 front side connectors it can and will case the board to hang on code 64. Hope this helps all who reads this. Rick

Neumi

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2015, 06:23:19 am »
I used the Old Case to Rebuild a customers PC, The new Motherboard is a Z97X Gamming 7, I plugged in his old camera SD card Reader into the motherboard because it was part of the case. System would hang on code 64 and take 2 minutes or longer before I would get the Gigabyte screen then boot to windows, once I unplugged the old card reader it would boot fast, so here is what I found out, if you have an old front side usb 1.1 or 2.0 and it is plugged into the 3.0 front side connectors it can and will case the board to hang on code 64. Hope this helps all who reads this. Rick
Thank you, for me this was it.
I use a front panel with combined 4 x USB 2.0 hub, various card readers and 2 x USB 3.0, connected to F_USB2 and F_USB30.
The system ran fine for almost 9 months now, last week it startet to show the same behaviour as reported by different users: Stuck at '64', then at 'AE', before booting to the OS. Once I DID have the impression it might be USB releated, since the keyboard driver would load only after 10 seconds after the login screen was shown, but I dropped the idea.

I switched RAM modules, updated the BIOS, even tried other RAM modules - no good.
Then - after a week - it worked again, I had no idea why. I was happy for a few days until I wanted to boot from a USB stick on the fron panel. There it was again and it remained that way since.
Yesterday I read your post, removed the card reader/USB HUB and now everything works fine.

I'll see if I can still use it if I play around with the legacy support in the BIOS.