Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z77X-UD5H Rev 1.0 - USB ports do not work until OS loads

Z77X-UD5H Rev 1.0 - USB ports do not work until OS loads
« on: August 21, 2015, 05:42:56 pm »
Hi,

I as stated in the subject, I have a Z77X-UD5H and I have had issues with most of the USB ports not working until an OS has loaded.

In order for me to access and navigate the BIOS and/or select an OS at my UEFI bootloader (I dual boot OS X and Windows), the keyboard must be plugged into one of the red ports on the back panel. 

This was not an issue until I bought a Wi-Fi/Bluetooth adapter that needs to be plugged into a USB header on the motherboard.  Even these headers do not function until after the bootloader phase. 

I have tried every connotation of USB related settings in the BIOS and I cannot get any other USB ports or USB headers to recognise keyboards/mice/hard drives. 

Unless someone can offer any suggestions I am going to have to use an internal USB header-to-external USB connector and plug it into one of the red ports so that I can use my bluetooth keyboard at BIOS/boot loader stage.

I am running BIOS F16 mod 11 as this works with my graphics card and OS X set up.

Full system specs:
Z77X-UD5H Rev 1.0
Intel 3770k 3.5GHz (not o/c)
16GB Memory
EVGA 970GTX 4GB
Various SSD/HDDs

Any suggestions welcome.  Thanks

Re: Z77X-UD5H Rev 1.0 - USB ports do not work until OS loads
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 05:03:40 am »
Anyone?  Am pretty desperate here!

Thanks

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 02:54:03 pm »
This was not an issue until I bought a Wi-Fi/Bluetooth adapter that needs to be plugged into a USB header on the motherboard. 

What I would do is email or call the people that made your adapter card. This was not an issue until I bought a Wi-Fi/Bluetooth adapter

If everything work before this then that could be the problem. One thing I would look at is the plug on the card to make sure all the wires are right to match up to the header.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 06:50:32 pm »
Hi,

What I meant was this was not an issue until I needed the ability to be able to use the other USB ports at boot time... specifically the internal USB headers which do not seem to be useful until an OS has loaded.

To be clear... there are only 2 ports that will work at boot time (BIOS and Boot loader for example).  All other ports whether they be external ports or internal headers on the motherboard do not seem to function/be enabled until an OS loads.  I can't for example plug a USB keyboard into any of the ports except the 2 red ports and be able to load the BIOS.  The same goes for plugging additional USB ports into the internal USB headers... they simply do not work OUTSIDE of an OS environment.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 02:08:36 am »
Just another update.

The issue seems to surface whenever a USB hub is plugged into the computer. 

• If I disconnect all all USB devices and just have the Bluetooth/Wi-Fi card connected to an internal USB 2.0 header on the motherboard, the card works as it should.  I can use a wireless keyboard in the BIOS and in the boot loader.
  • If can then connect other USB devices to the USB ports, either USB 2.0 or 3.0 ports such as a web cam, a hard drive etc and the wireless bluetooth/wi-fi card works in BIOS and boot loader.
  • If i then connect a USB hub to any of the USB ports, 2.0 or 3.0, the bluetooth/wi-fi keyboard doesn't work in the BIOS or boot loader.  I tried a powered D-Link 7 port USB hub and 2 Dell monitors and all of them stopped the bluetooth/wi-fi card from working.
  • The bluetooth/wi-fi card also stopped working if I connected a wired keyboard that has USB ports built in (an Apple Wired Keyboard with 2 USB ports in this case).
  • It seems that as soon as I connect any kind of USB hub to the USB 2.0/3.0 ports, something stops the bluetooth/wi-fi card from working and thus stops my wireless keyboard from working in the BIOS and boot loader.

I am at a loss as to what is causing this and I understand that it may be confusing and impossible to understand from how I have explained it.  Any help is appreciated though.

Thanks.

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 06:29:38 pm »
Hello,

I have pretty much the same mobo but rev. 1.1
I had nothing but issues with USB hubs / power distribution on it.

- Had an instance when all of a sudden (regardless of BIOS USB Legacy support) - my USB keyboard would not power on until OS is up (had to reset the CMOS to get into the bios again)

- Had several power related issues (actually recently posted to these forums about) - PC would not even start properly when My audio interface external sound card is plugged into any of the USB ports on the motherboard.

Apparently Z77 chipset is knows for crappy UBS power distribution issues.
I found BIOS F14 (Official latest) works best for me, since I OC quite a bit.

- What was suggested in terms of USB ports to me - is to buy an external POWERED USB hub (usually 3.0), which will have its own source of power.

Just a suggestion, I will be trying it out with my sound card on the weekend.

Let me know if you have any luck.