Official GIGABYTE Forum

Audio popping/cracking with Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 motherboard

mbdude

Hi there,
I'm getting some kind of popping/crackling in the audio when I plug my headphones to the audio out connector in the back panel of the Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 motherboard (integrated Realtek High Definition Audio). It happens when listening music or watching movies.
What is the source of the problem? How can I solve it?
I've tried an old stand-alone PCI sound card (SB Audigy) and it doesn't get that problem but I prefer the Realtek because it has High Defintion Audio.
Is my motherboard defective?

Thanks in advance

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Audio popping/cracking with Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 motherboard
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 07:00:25 pm »
Hi,
don't worry I don't believe your mobo is defective and this kind of problem is quite common.

There are many reasons for noise to enter the audio signal, which we then hear as clicks, pops, rumble, hiss etc. The majority are due to bad connections, damaged cables, DC motors, Radio signals, (Mobile Phones are the worst) etc. With a PC however we also have the added problem of IRQ's and the Operating System.

I have an M-Audio Delta 1010 sound card on running on this mobo and recently have been experiencing just the same sounds that you mention which I really do not expect from an expensive sound card. I went through all of my cables and replaced a couple that I wasn't happy with but the noise persisted. I checked that all my drivers were up-to-date (a joke really as M-Audio are awful at updating drivers, but that's another story!)

Eventually I turned off the System Sounds and have not noticed the pops or clicks since.

If I were you I would check that all of the connectors are seated firmly in the mobo, that they are not crossing any power cables, that they are not damaged and also that they are not coiled up. If this doesn't help then try disabling the Sound Scheme in windows.

Another thing to try would be to disable any audio devices that you are not using, web-cam, USB Head-set/Microphone etc., as these too can cause problems.

Hope this helps
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.