Z97x-SOC: Stability on default settings
« on: October 29, 2015, 06:35:32 am »
Hardware:
Z97X-SOC
4790k cpu
2x8g 1866Mhz Kingston ram
Gainward GTX970 GPU
BeQuiet Straightpower 10 800w PSU
(any other info that would be useful let me know)

Problem:
Having stability issues on default bios settings.

Background:
Upgraded the bios recently, and have gone back to having stability issues. Current f7 bios appears to have changed the default values for the CPU in the bios, but still has symptoms of suddenly powers off, with no warning, or when I shutdown my PC windows will close, but the computer won't physically switch off, as in the leds and fans stay on. Have to hold the power button for it to switch off.

When I first built this computer, default settings were pretty bad (which is rather odd), it wouldn't survive a stress test, in that prime95 would force the shutdown. I learnt that it's due to some really odd default settings that the motherboard applies. The following picture is from Intel XTU, which shows on the right side, the values as default, and proposed is what I'm running for stability.

So you can probably see that the big differences are in the power maximums and the current limit, as well as the turbo boost time window (open image in a new tab to get full size). This info came from intel, and system stability is good when I force these changes, temperatures are significantly lower on a stress test (~70°C maximum whereas previously would get to 100°C and throttle). So I'm quite confident that the intel specification stock settings work well.

Where my issue is, and it's not a major one, but would like to see it corrected, is that with the new bios update, it's saying that it's at the intel stock specification, but according to intel XTU, it isn't. Additionally, if I press reset, it goes back to the no good defaults. Lastly, it means I have to keep intel XTU around to make sure the system runs properly. Ideally, I'd be able to get this to work properly with default settings.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 06:38:59 am by sd4f »