Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z170X-Gaming 7: Motherboard speaker emits endless beep after 5 days

GA-Z170X-Gaming 7
Firmware version: F5
Windows 10
Intel i7 6770k

Odd problem. If my computer has been up for longer than 4 or 5 days the motherboard will emit a constant, endless beep through the onboard speaker. The OS does not lock up and actually continues to run as usual. I could not find any detection nor logs about possible voltage issues (running stock speeds), temps, or any other type of hardware failure. Rebooting the computer will, of course, clear the issue, and the reboot will perform flawlessly. (No boot option errors, etc.) Nothing in the BIOS reports any hardware problems.

What makes this even stranger is that it starts between 2am and 6am (Mountain Standard Time). My roommates are usually up until 2 and when I wake up around 6 I'll hear the constant beep. When I've asked them if they knew about it they claim it wasn't happening while they were awake.

I'm not certain if this is a firmware issue or not, but I can say that I didn't experience this prior to the F5 release. So far this has only occurred twice. (Once with OC settings, once with stock settings.)

Maybe it's an issue with Windows 10?

Re: GA-Z170X-Gaming 7: Motherboard speaker emits endless beep after 5 days
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 11:59:23 pm »
Happened again, just 15 minutes ago. It's just one endless beep. I can't find anything in the Windows Events logs. Is there another location I should be checking for?

jason-uk

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 07:54:19 pm »
GA-Z170X-Gaming 7
Firmware version: F5
Windows 10
Intel i7 6770k

Odd problem. If my computer has been up for longer than 4 or 5 days the motherboard will emit a constant, endless beep through the onboard speaker. The OS does not lock up and actually continues to run as usual. I could not find any detection nor logs about possible voltage issues (running stock speeds), temps, or any other type of hardware failure. Rebooting the computer will, of course, clear the issue, and the reboot will perform flawlessly. (No boot option errors, etc.) Nothing in the BIOS reports any hardware problems.

What makes this even stranger is that it starts between 2am and 6am (Mountain Standard Time). My roommates are usually up until 2 and when I wake up around 6 I'll hear the constant beep. When I've asked them if they knew about it they claim it wasn't happening while they were awake.

I'm not certain if this is a firmware issue or not, but I can say that I didn't experience this prior to the F5 release. So far this has only occurred twice. (Once with OC settings, once with stock settings.)

Maybe it's an issue with Windows 10?

I've been having this constant beep as well ,, :'(
 i wonder if anyone can offer any insight into this problem i'm having with this board (ga-z170x-gaming 7) bios f6, i'm half way through a gaming section about 2hrs long and i start to hear a continuous beep from the speaker on the motherboard , this was a day ago and today it's happened while the pc is just in idle ...

there is no error code showing on the led display ,all temps are normal same as the voltages and fans are running everything is working as it should from what i can tell  , i do not have any alarms setup in the bios or gigabytes softwares.  , i did a restart and the continuous beep was still present , after this i did a full power down and then restarted it had gone .

today when this happened just a straight restart fixed it , i didn't have to shut down completely like the other day , plus when the beeping was going off today i manually checked everthing was ok ,, eg all temps ok , all fans running ok same for the voltages , hard drives and graphic cards ....  also i have no overclocking going on , not even on my graphics cards

Please someone gigabyte help us as this is driving me insane , i just want to know if its just a bug or is it something more serious.

It wouldn't be so bad but this is my second  GA-Z170X-Gaming 7  motherboard now as the first one had bad ram slots and i had to RMA it , all this in just a week ...

PC spec's

GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 bios f6
i7 6700k @ stock
2 x gtx 980 ti sli @ stock
samsung 850 evo 500 gb ssd
16gb (2x8gb) modules kingston fury ddr4 2666mhz
3 x wd blacks hdd 1tb
1 x samsung spinpoint hdd 1tb
1x seagate barracuda hdd 1tb
leadex superflower 1200w Platinum PSU         
GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 bios f8
i7 6700k @ 4.6
2 x MSI gtx 980ti sli @ 1450 mhz
2x samsung 850 evo 500 gb ssd Raid0
3 x wd blacks hdd 1tb

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 08:13:09 pm »

I've been having this constant beep as well ,, :'(
 i wonder if anyone can offer any insight into this problem i'm having with this board (ga-z170x-gaming 7) bios f6

I just wanted to add that I've upgraded my bios to F6(f) and the problem still exists. Once I found that it started after an HDD I had in an external dock failed (I was performing file recovery), however removing it did not stop the beeping. It actually came back after reboot (~15 minutes) even though the external drive was no longer connected. I have since removed my speaker entirely.

If it helps, here's my additional hardware info as well:

• Kingston HyperX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 @ 2666MHz
  • ASUS R9 Fury X
  • Corsair H100i
  • Corsair RM750
SSDs & HDDs
  • Samsung 950 PRO (M.2) (Boot)
  • Samsung 850 EVO (M.2) (Previously boot)
  • WD 1TB BLACK
  • WD 2TB RED
  • TOSHIBA 2TB
  • Seagate 80GB

This still occurs regardless if system has OC settings or not

jason-uk

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 08:49:31 pm »
yep that will be the next step for me to , i will remove the speaker as this is very annoying to be honest , >:( i don't mind bugs as such as long as we know what they are and that there is a fix on its way, it's just so far ive had a bad time with these gigabyte boards and would like to be reassured that the beeping is not something that's going to damage other parts of the PC as i've saved and worked hard for a long time to put this build together.

I just want someone to tell us what the endless beeping is/means , because from what i can see and monitor everything is as it should be and there is no reason for it ..  :'( :'(

I suppose we'll just have to wait and see what happens with future bios updates or if more people end up with the same problem as us , maybe then we can work out what the cause is  , however as the speaker isn't included with the board there may be a limited number of users encounter this ,  if you didn't have the speaker connected up one wouldn't be aware of this fault/problem/bug .

If i ever get to the root cause or find anything else on this i will report back here to let you know , and if you would do the same that would be great too  :) :) :) :)  , i will also report back should this problem develop into anything more serious as my PC is pretty much on  12hrs per day .....       
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 08:51:02 pm by jason-uk »
i7 6700k @ 4.6
3 x wd blacks hdd 1tb

jason-uk

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 03:45:31 pm »
quick update ,,, im now five day later and for some reason ive not had the continuous beep return as yet , and why i couldn't tell you, it's a complete mystery  ??? ???
i7 6700k @ 4.6
3 x wd blacks hdd 1tb

KIS

Has anyone found the source of this issue? I have a similar setup (Core i7 6700K, Gigabyte Z170-Gaming 7 EU, 16Gb DDR memory, Windows 10 x64) and this issue has been occurring now and then since I built the PC from all new components. A non-stop continous beep will start now and then all of a sudden, sometimes after days of normal work, sometimes minutes after boot up, with no apparent issues detectable (i.e. voltage, temps, PC running normal). I have to shut down the PC to get rid of the beep.

jason-uk

Has anyone found the source of this issue? I have a similar setup (Core i7 6700K, Gigabyte Z170-Gaming 7 EU, 16Gb DDR memory, Windows 10 x64) and this issue has been occurring now and then since I built the PC from all new components. A non-stop continous beep will start now and then all of a sudden, sometimes after days of normal work, sometimes minutes after boot up, with no apparent issues detectable (i.e. voltage, temps, PC running normal). I have to shut down the PC to get rid of the beep.
Over the past months i've searched the whole web trying to find answers to this very question with no luck at all , its  been a few months now and as im now running everything at stock apart from my ram which is factory O/C to 2666mhz i've not had the continuous beep return , i do know that, soon bios F8  will be out maybe the end of the month and this will contine many fixes and hopefully this will be in there .     
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 05:08:33 pm by jason-uk »
i7 6700k @ 4.6
3 x wd blacks hdd 1tb

GA-Z170X-Gaming 7
BIOS version: F6
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Intel Core i7-6700K

Greetings from the other side of the pond!

I just wanted to chime in here as well since this is also the only evidence I could find on the Interwebs regarding this issue...

I've just completed my build a few weeks ago and this is the only "problem" I've run into.  I just logged a support request with Gigabyte and I will report back if/when they respond.

The only theory I can come up with is that perhaps it has to do with chassis intrusion detection.  To that end I've installed a jumper across those posts on the Front Panel Header and will report back if that seems to help the cause.

-Jeremy

TL;DR: bridge the two Chassis Intrusion pins on the Front Panel Header with a standard jumper

Hi All,

Reporting back as promised.  I have yet to hear anything directly from Gigabyte support, however I am happy to report that in the past 4 days running 24/7 with a jumper bridging the Chassis Intrusion pins on the Front Panel Header seems to have done the trick!

-Jeremy

slopeh

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 01:34:25 pm »
Greetings! Got the Gigabyte Z170x-UD5 as well, with the F5 BIOS, i7 6700K and HyperX 32GB (4x8GB) 2400DDR4.
Got the exact same issue.. Does how ever disappear after a reboot, but quite annoying.

I will how ever ty the CI bridging trick of yours, jeremydmiller! Never knew there was an Intrusion system on my MB until you mentioned it ;-)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 01:35:34 pm by slopeh »

fadsarmy

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2016, 02:23:36 pm »
Hi. Was this mystery ever solved? I'm running latest F20 bios and this happened to me today but hardware monitoring was normal.

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2017, 05:13:48 am »
I recently built a computer with this motherboard and updated the BIOS to F20 and I also have this problem.  It would be nice if someone that works for Gigabyte would respond to this problem.  I have built many several computers with Gigabyte motherboards and this is the first time I have had a problem of this nature. 

I have noticed some one complain of a similar issue in the HWiNFO forum with a Gigabyte 170 motherboard.

In my case (Z170X Gaming 7), after a month or so or fiddling, I traced it to using HwINFO to monitor Vcore while Gigabyte SIV is installed.

Either disable HWiNFO from monitoring the ITE IT8628E sensor or uninstall Gigabyte SIV program.