Official GIGABYTE Forum

BIOS cannot control one fan on brand new GA-Z170X-UD5 TH Motherborad

I have 3 fans installed:
#1 the CPU FAN (Noctua) - set in the BIOS manual as percentage: 2 PWM/C
#2 Fan in fan header1 - Exhaust (4pin fan) - set in the BIOS manual as percentage: 2 PWM/C
#3 Fan in fan header3 - In-take (3pin fan) - set at in the BIOS at full speed)
I configured the BIOS to give me an alarm when the fans fail to start.
Fan in header 1 (PWM fan) does not start AT ALL at boot time, although it is configured as manual, also 2 PWM/C.
It just jerks for a second, every 2-3 seconds as if it has an impulse, but it does not start
I don't want to use SIV to Control my fans in Windows, the BIOS Should be able to control them.
WHY THE BIOS DOES NOT CONTROL THE FANS PROPERLY?
The fan is brand new and IS NOT DEFECTIVE because if I start SIV then it starts correctly at low speed and then I can use SIV to set it at full speed. THE FAN WORKS, the B.I.O.S does not.
Any ideas? Any of you encountered this problem?
Thanks a lot
Titus

Re: BIOS cannot control one fan on brand new GA-Z170X-UD5 TH Motherborad
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 10:58:35 pm »
*** PROBLEM FIXED ***
Because this is a weird forum where people just read posts but never reply, I will answer myself to my own post.
I've tried a few things:
1. I changed first the fan from fan header from header 1 to fan header 2, but I had the same problem. So the problem is not because by the fan header of the MTB.
2. I set the fan at full speed in the BIOS. This worked but I did not want to keep it like that all the time.
3. Then I replaced the 15000RPM fan that didn't start with one of my intake fans 1000RPM
It seems that this 1000RPM fan worked just fine even with the BIOS set to Silent, it started correctly and the BIOS did not gave me an alarm.

The conclusion is, if you have a problem like mine when the fan does not start at idle (with BIOS on Normal, on Silent, or on Manual) but it just jirks every 2 3 seconds, the cause of the problem is very probably the fan itself which requires a higher voltage to function at low RPM (when system idle). These PWM fans have to be good quality. I returned my Fractal Design 1500RMP fan and purchased a Noctua 1500RPM

Hoping that this will help someone else in the same situation
Titus