Official GIGABYTE Forum

Mem configuration: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P with 2 x G.Skill 4G and 2 x OCZ Gold 4

exm

I'm installing my Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P and am trying to find a stable and fast setup. Initially I bought 2 x G.Skill 4 Gb 7-8-7-24 CAS 7, but I found a great deal on 2 x OCZ Gold 4 Gb 8-8-8-24 CAS 8 as well, so now I have both sets totaling 8 Gb.  I'm confused about channels vs sockets. My mobo has the following setup:
Channel 0: DDR3_1, DDR3_2
Channel 1: DDR3_3, DDR3_4

The manual states that with 2 modules, I need to use DDR3_1 and DDR3_3. Does this mean I need to install my G.Skills in DDR3_1 and DDR3_3, and my OCZ in DDR3_2, DDR3_4 (so different type of memory per channel)? Or should the G.Skills be in DDR3_1, DDR3_2 and the OCZ in DDR3_3, DDR3_4 (each channel has the same type of memory). Currently I have the G.Skill in Blue - rows 1 and 3 and OCZ in white - rows 2 and 4. It almost seems that manual has an type?

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Hi,

The sockets are colour coded to represent the channels so there are 2 blue (1 channel) and 2 white (1 channel).

You need to make sure that your memory is inserted into the matching coloured sockets. 1 + 3 and 2 + 4 so, you are correct in thinking that your G.Skill should be placed in 1 + 3 and the OCZ in 2 + 4 or vice versa.

I think you will find there is a printing error in the manual for your mobo.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.