Official GIGABYTE Forum

Windforce GTX 970 not working in specific slot

lbm

Windforce GTX 970 not working in specific slot
« on: November 13, 2015, 08:48:00 pm »
Hello,

I seem to have a bit of a strange problem with my Windforce GTX 970 card and I thought someone here might be able to shed some light on the issue.

I've had the card for almost a year now and it's been working fine up until a week ago when all of a sudden my computer pretty much froze. I could move the mouse pointer but the rest of the system was stuck and after a hard reboot I got "no signal" on both DVI-ports. Rebooting again and clearing CMOS didn't help.

Since I had an older Windforce GTX 660 laying around I tested with that card (in the very same PCIe port) instead and everything worked fine.

After this I figured that the GTX 970 card was simply broken so I returned to the local store with it. They tested it and claimed that it was in fact working. So, I went back home, and tested it again, still "no signal". As a last resort I tried another one of my PCIe slots, and it worked!

Now, what I'm a bit curious about is how/why the GTX 970 card would no longer be "accepted" by one of my PCIe slots, where the GTX 660 still works fine? Any thoughts on this matter?

Guess I should also mention that my MOBO is a Gigabyte X99-Gaming 7 (yes I like Gigabyte...).

NitrousX

Re: Windforce GTX 970 not working in specific slot
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 12:09:41 pm »
By any chance have you tried changing the pci express slot in the bios to 16x?, to see if it would work in the first slot. If that doesnt work I would try resetting the bios and clearing the cmos then see it works.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 12:10:12 pm by NitrousX »