Official GIGABYTE Forum

resurrecting a GA-MA785GM-US2H

dubeux

resurrecting a GA-MA785GM-US2H
« on: November 13, 2015, 01:13:23 am »
Hello, first post here.
I'm trying to resurrect above MB, after a long time idle. The problem: when I turn it on, fans and leds turn on, but it doesn't boot - no beep. After a while (something between 2 and 60 minutes), most of the time, it beeps and boots normally - but sometimes I keep waiting till give up.
When it does boot, everything seems to be absolutely normal.
More: after turning it off, when I turn it on, nothing happens. I have to turn the psu switch off, back on, and then it does turn on fans and leds.
I have already cleaned everything I could, replaced MB battery (which I measured and was ok), updated bios, cleared cmos, tested RAM with memtest86 (passed), tested psu (the paperclip test, ok), cleaned and applied new thermal paste to cpu.
No PCI cards (onboard video).
What I really don't understand is the apparent stability after finally booting.
Any suggestions? Do I just need to cope with the MB passing away? Would it make sense to test the processor? How do I do it?
Thanks for any input.

The system:
CPU AMD Phenom II X4 945
MB GA-MA785GM-US2H rev. 1.0
RAM 2x G.Skill 2GB F2-8500CL5-2GBPK
PSU Corsair VX450
BIOS version F12f 07/27/2012 (latest)
win 7
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 01:16:31 am by dubeux »

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: resurrecting a GA-MA785GM-US2H
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 02:42:26 am »
Have you tried different memory? Plus what slots do you have the memory. If I can remember they should be in the first two slots next to the CPU.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 07:09:00 am »
Hi there,

Is your PSU new?

This could be a power issue as I have come across very similar situations which came down to the power supply not functioning correctly. Also, Gigabyte did recommend a PSU of at least 500W for this motherboard.

Taken from User Manual ( http://download1.gigabyte.eu/Files/Manual/mb_manual_ga-ma785g(p)m-ud(s)2h_e.pdf )
• To meet expansion requirements, it is recommended that a power supply that can withstand
high power consumption be used (500W or greater). If a power supply is used that does not
provide the required power, the result can lead to an unstable or unbootable system.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

dubeux

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 09:15:53 am »
Have you tried different memory? Plus what slots do you have the memory. If I can remember they should be in the first two slots next to the CPU.
Ram in slots 3-4. Manual says 1-2, but it has never worked. And it did work for years this way (slots 3-4).

dubeux

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 09:34:01 am »
Hi there,

Is your PSU new?

This could be a power issue as I have come across very similar situations which came down to the power supply not functioning correctly. Also, Gigabyte did recommend a PSU of at least 500W for this motherboard.

Taken from User Manual ( http://download1.gigabyte.eu/Files/Manual/mb_manual_ga-ma785g(p)m-ud(s)2h_e.pdf )
• To meet expansion requirements, it is recommended that a power supply that can withstand
high power consumption be used (500W or greater). If a power supply is used that does not
provide the required power, the result can lead to an unstable or unbootable system.
The system is just as it was when built, some 5 years ago - so no, PSU is as old as the MB. But according to some reviews, it seems to be a quite good quality one - this review says it delivered 570w:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/corsair-vx450w-power-supply-review/10/
Besides, it's a rather basic system - one single disk, no cards. Any tips on how to test the PSU? In some other incarnation, some +20 years ago, I was an electronics technician, so I can handle a multimeter.

Anyway, thanks for the inputs, guys.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 10:40:35 am »
To test the PSU, disconnect the main lead from the motherboard.

Short out pins 15 & 16. This will allow the power supply to start. I used to use a paper clip for this but you can buy PSU testing blocks that have these pins wired out and is a more secure way of working.

Switch on the PSU and using your multimeter check the power output from each pin. Here is a link to a site that gives you the correct voltages that you should be getting. http://pcsupport.about.com/od/insidethepc/a/atx-pinout-24-pin-12v-psu.htm

You state in your reply to dmdilks that slots 1 & 2 on your system never worked, this could indicate an issue with the CPU as the memory controller is part of that and not on the motherboard itself. Also, were you running your RAM at 1600MHz? if so read this sticky: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=2515.0 as it might have a bearing on the situation that you are facing.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

dubeux

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 12:50:20 pm »
I mentioned I did the paper clip test, but didn't check voltages - just connected a fan. Thanks for the link, will check voltages.
RAM is running at only 800MHz (the default), trying to keep the system as safe as possible - this MB supports only 1200MHz.
Any way to test the cpu, to check the memory controller?

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 01:55:59 pm »
Any way to test the cpu, to check the memory controller?

Sadly not. It used to be the case that you could return to AMD but, if there is a problem with the CPU, because of its age, there is not a lot that you can do now.

Yes, I read that you had tried paper clip test, added a bit more detail for others who might look at this thread and want to know how to test their PSU.

AgentFXA

• none
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2015, 12:46:16 am »
After 5 years it's likely the mobo - A voltage regulator on the mobo is at its end causing long delays until the pwr-good signal comes on. Time for a change!

« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 12:47:28 am by AgentFXA »
X570 Aorus Elite Wifi / Ryzen 2700x / Gigabyte Radeon RX 7900 XT Gaming OC 20G Graphics Card / 16 GB HyperX Predator 3200 / SeaSonic 850W / Tt View 71 TG / Win10x64

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2015, 01:09:41 pm »
After 5 years it's likely the mobo - A voltage regulator on the mobo is at its end causing long delays until the pwr-good signal comes on. Time for a change!

I'm not trying sound like smart a%s but what you saying any board that 5 yrs or older. It is a done deal. Yes it it more likely the board because he is having a problem from the start with memory slots. Plus like absic said it could be the CPU that is causing the memory problem too.

I had a EVGA 1156 board that is 8 yrs old or older sat around for 2 or 3 yrs. Some body is still using 1156 board today. But I'm going to say is more likely the connection between the PSU main 24 pin plug from corrosion.

Because just by what he is say that he has to turn off the PSU some times to get it to work. What I would do is try and clean the two plugs and the two connection on the board. Or try unplugging a few times to see if you start getting a good connection.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.